AuthorTopic: Stupid Question Regarding Tile Sizes  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Stupid Question Regarding Tile Sizes

on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:05 am
Hey, this is a topic that everyone seems to approach as a no-brainer, yet I've for some reason failed to understand. Keep in mind I've had this question for months and am only just now finding the urge to actually reach out for help.

Basically, I don't fully understand the RPG 3/4 perspective. In Cyangmou's DeviantArt tutorial on "cubes", as well as many other guides, I see a block drawn as follows:

Each face of the cube is 16 x 12. But what would the actual floor tile sizes be? In most guides, they seem to actually refer to the 16 x 24 block as a 16 x 16 one.

Here is a mock up of how the cube looks on top of 16 x 16 tiles:

But there are clear issues, for example, assuming both resolutions were snapping to the same grid, any two horizontal rows of the red blocks couldn't really touch each other due to the 4 pixel gap between 12 and 16.

So logically I thought, why wouldn't the floor tiles be 16 x 12 themselves? Seems reasonable, aside from the fact that I've literally never heard of any game using rectangle tiles.

Someone please explain why i'm so incompetent.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Stupid Question Regarding Tile Sizes

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:03:48 am
i'm so incompetent.
Yes you are. And that really is a stupid question. Except you probably are not incompetent and it is not a stupid question, just full of negative self-programming of the mind. Please read this thread and think about it.

To give some useful advice on the actual art problem, look at the principles of Parallel Projection. With that and drawing a side view of the floor tiles and a cube sitting on top of them you should be able to figure out the spacing easily. Any parallel planes/areas in the projection which have the same side lengths in reality and are parallel in reality as well will also have equal side lengths and areas in the projection. So a "top" face of a cube will be just as big as a "bottom"(floor tile) face of a cube in the projection.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:57:29 am
So you're saying that, yes, the floor tiles in this case would be 16 x 12?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:00 pm
Correct.
But if you want to use 16x16 level tiles while depicting 16x12 floor tiles, you still can, and it would require six tiles instead of the usual two:

(which could be flips or recolours of each other depending on what sort of details you have on the floor.)

A lot of games mix the two, they'll have objects use "proper" 3/4 projection, but have 16x16 floor tiles just to be able to have fewer tiles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:19:29 pm by eishiya »