AuthorTopic: [GAME] [WIP] First Timer - Mechanical Problem  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Siimon

• View Profile

[GAME] [WIP] First Timer - Mechanical Problem

on: January 11, 2017, 12:30:21 pm
A quick mock-up I made for a game I'm attempting to make.
What do you guys think? :)

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Re: [GAME] [WIP] First Timer - Mechanical Problem

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:10 pm
Background and characters kind of blend together, try using more saturation, brighter colors on characters, have them have contrast with the background. Trees (?) look weird, don't pillow-shade stuff.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:17 pm
Your shading/highlights just hug the outlines. This creates two problems:
1. It doesn't actually show the form of the clouds, trees, car, hills, etc at all, it just makes them look like embossed flat shapes, like stickers or something.
2. The shadows create banding, which makes your work look blocky, drawing too much attention to the pixel grid.

Think in terms of forms (3D), not shapes (2D). The silhouette (apparent shape) of an object isn't the only (or even main) thing that affects the shadows on it. For example, consider the nose on a human face face. From the front, it doesn't affect the silhouette/shape of the face, but it's still visible because of the way it affects light (shadows and highlights). If you were to shade a human face the way you're shading things in this scene, that face woulnd't have a nose.

I think it would be better to use more contrasting colours in the green character. As-is, it's almost impossible to tell apart their skin, shirt, and trousers. In addition, they contrast poorly against the yellow-brown hill behind them because the values (how dark/light the colours are) of their head are very similar to the colour of the background.

Offline Siimon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:54 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely look into coloring and shading more, because I do agree that it looks off.. thanks again :)

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:19 pm
If the players are moving up and down the screen similar to a brawler, then add some shadows  :y: