AuthorTopic: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)  (Read 11221 times)

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Re: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)

Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 06:48:35 pm
I wouldn't rasterize a single-colour red ellipse on white any differently from a single-colour green ellipse on white. Those are still contextless shapes!
But, I would rasterise a bright green plastic pipe (the opening of which is an ellipse) sticking out of grey concrete that's meant to be the focal point differently from how I'd rasterise a grey hole in that concrete (also an ellipse). That's context. And the reasons I'd do that are
1. The green pipe is a focus, and so I would probably make it a little thicker so that it's clear that it's the focus.
2. Light affects plastic and concrete differently, and the two objects have different types of edges. This effects how much of an impression of light/shadow I want to give and how smooth/soft I'd make the edges.
3. The two objects have different textures, and possibly different kinds of wear and tear. I would break up their outlines to reflect this. Subtle chips in the material are very easy to convey by choosing to rasterise one part of a shape differently from another, since the overall shape is still an ellipse, but now with subtle irregularities.

See what I mean by context now? Actual artwork. Scenes, tilesets, etc. where ellipses are used to depict objects or create an impression rather than drawn for their own sake.
Ok then. The context here is: Imagine you want to draw a black sprite with the desired size that's going to be shown on white background. An ellipse sprite, for a platformer game. I wouldn't rasterize differently depending on context, it's pointless. The task would be easy for me. If the post creator was you I would happily draw my favorite style of ellipses instead of asking about st**** context.

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 07:50:35 pm
Ok then. The context here is: Imagine you want to draw a black sprite with the desired size that's going to be shown on white background. An ellipse sprite, for a platformer game. I wouldn't rasterize differently depending on context, it's pointless. The task would be easy for me. If the post creator was you I would happily draw my favorite style of ellipses instead of asking about st**** context.

The thing is - other than to appease you, there is no practical reason to do that. We won't improve our skills or learn anything new, and neither will you, despite what you think. In other words - it would be a waste of time.

I feel you're stuck in your thinking. When you say that you wouldn't make the ellipse differently depending on the context, even after having the reasons why you should outlined for you, it seems like you're throwing a tantrum, unwilling to budge and take a step back and think about what's being said.

I'm confused with your fetishism over something so minor and inconsequential.

=/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:16 pm

Ellipses is getting uncomfortable Piotr, they've been going steady with Semicolon for a couple years now and they really don't want to mess it up!

(Really though, jokes aside, please try to back off a bit. Like Achrileg said, you're either making your point excessively poorly or simply not listening to us. Basic shapes, like ellipses, are constantly changing based on what they're a part of in any given scene or image or even ART STYLE. For example, one ellipses might turn into a sprite of Kirby, while another could wind up as Q-bert, and yet another could simply be a light-bulb. In all these cases they'd be nothing more than a construction element of a larger whole, and in each case the shading and edge-details on it would be different too.
It's like spending an hour drawing several straight lines on a paper, for an absolute no-experience beginner perhaps that's a good place to pick up but for someone who's been drawing entire scenes and objects it is a bit of a waste when it could be tied into other exercises.)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:58 pm

K here is some ellipses with my own text.  :y:

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 08:01:42 am

K here is some ellipses with my own text.  :y:
Finally someone understood it. Nice to see that you prefer these ellipses. But you have n*4 row twice with different ellipses.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:06:43 am by Piotr »