AuthorTopic: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)  (Read 11239 times)

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Make your own ellipses (pixel art)

on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:12 pm
Your task is to make ellipses from 1x1 to 12x12. You can choose whether they are antialiased or whether they are not anti-aliased. I'll start with my ellipses:

Follow the format above but use your own text. You can make multiple sets, they can be same or different, but all in one post.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:17:10 am by Piotr »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:28:57 pm
Please refrain from creating multiple accounts, one is more than enough. Also, what is the purpose of this "activity"?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:28:43 pm
Please refrain from creating multiple accounts, one is more than enough. Also, what is the purpose of this "activity"?
Drawing ellipses, choosing the ones that seem the best to you.
Example of things that I want to see an opinion of:
Code: [Select]

#     ###
### or ### ?
 #     ###
So that I can see which option will people choose, but in all 144 ellipses too.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:13:39 pm
The only subjectivity in rasterizing a solid ellipse is whether to include or exclude an incident sampling point.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:29:00 pm
The only subjectivity in rasterizing a solid ellipse is whether to include or exclude an incident sampling point.
That's the point, but there are MANY such points:

Not to mention the ellipses too. Paint also uses assymetrical shapes for 13x13 and 14x14. So I want to know what you prefer by drawing the 144 ellipses from 1x1 to 12x12.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:48:11 pm
There really aren't.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:47 pm
A single artist will likely rasterize the same size ellipse in different ways in different situations, based on what they're depicting and the colours they're using. Most people don't practice rasterizing basic shapes without context because that's basically meaningless. You may want to think about why you care so much to see different people's takes on this "issue".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:44:57 pm by eishiya »

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:12:15 pm
There really aren't.
But how am I supposed to know which ones you prefer? Make a picture like the first 2 posts and stop discussing. I just want to know how will you draw general ellipses of the desired size. End. Dot.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:14 pm
But how am I supposed to know which ones you prefer? Make a picture like the first 2 posts and stop discussing. I just want to know how will you draw general ellipses of the desired size. End. Dot.

The reason we're discussing is because we are confused by this, it feels like a weird thing to be fixating on when there are better avenues for improvement and the goal is still somewhat unclear. Are you trying to figure out anti-aliasing? are you trying to see how other people approach... a basic shape?
There's only going to be maybe three or four highly-situational ways to do what you've described here, and doing it serves no real purpose except as an incredibly basic practice gesture that would likely be better spent just doing a whole drawing.
It's confusing.
Like eishiya said, it's the context of the shape you work from.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:49 pm
Images not supported in quotes

The reason we're discussing is because we are confused by this, it feels like a weird thing to be fixating on when there are better avenues for improvement and the goal is still somewhat unclear. Are you trying to figure out anti-aliasing? are you trying to see how other people approach... a basic shape?
There's only going to be maybe three or four highly-situational ways to do what you've described here, and doing it serves no real purpose except as an incredibly basic practice gesture that would likely be better spent just doing a whole drawing.
It's confusing.
Like eishiya said, it's the context of the shape you work from.
That's not a basic shape, it's a square-root based shape. Also the picture below shows various pictures of different fake "users" making circles from 1x1 to 6x6, which is what I would like to see from users if it was just circles 1x1 to 6x6:

Image 1 and image 2 were made by one user, but in one post. Image 3 was made by another user who prefers circles with less pixels. Image 4 was made by some person who likes anti-aliasing. Image 5 was the same idea as Image 3 - that's valid. Copying it is also valid. Image 6 was made by person who cares about area and not symmetry. So I suggest you to make an image like the one of beginning to check which type of circle you like.

Look at this image:

Your task is, in the places of my ellipses, draw your ellipses instead, and use your own title in place of my one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:04:28 pm by Piotr »