AuthorTopic: [C+C] Pixel self portrait  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

[C+C] Pixel self portrait

on: January 03, 2017, 09:35:14 am
Hi there!  :)

I've have abandoned pixel art for almost a year, and I'm recently going back to it, because I always fall in love with it again.

Now I'm working on a self portrait:

I'm struggling especially with two elements.

The first one is the mouth, I think the darkest pixels on the left are not working quite good, but can't figure out how to fix it without changing the general gesture.

The second one is the white outline, I don't hate it, but don't like it neither. The problem is that without outline the character blends with the background, but I really want to keep that background (it is intended to be kind of a computer terminal, that's why is so dark)

All criticism is welcome. I hope to see you often from now on.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Pixel self portrait

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:12 am
On the first, I'd say come back with fresh eyes, it looks fine to me both zoomed in and at original res. slightly puckered smile.

On the outline, might work to have it be more yellowy or amber to fit with the computer theme.

Finally, and unrelated, you need more contrast on the chin! It runs right into her neck and there's not enough contrast to really differentiate the two well.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:03:47 am
I like the overall look quite a lot, don't see any glaring faults at first glance. Maybe the collar blends with the neck a bit too much, but other than that it's fine.

I don't really agree with the chin criticism, especially since the camera is below eye level and the head is raised slightly.

Here's how I'd approach if I had to touch it up:

Edit: Looking at my version a more, I like the pure single color bright outline better. I think it looks great.
Also, what I did was move some pixels around, add some shade collar and moved the mouth pixels around a bit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:08:46 am by Achrileg »

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:37 pm
Thanks for the quick feedback. I've done an edit:

I agree with the collar issue, so I've played around a bit with the neck area.

In the other hand, I've reduced shadows in the right part of the jaw/chin, I hope this helps with the reading of the pose Achrileg was mentioning (head slightly raised).

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:50:00 pm
So this mostly turned into an AA edit, take from that what you will if you're not interested in doing a smoother style but it should help with the more subtle features like the mouth and nose. Bring the pink from the lips into the face as much as you can, it's a nice colour and gives some additional life.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:52:00 pm
AA is sometimes interesting, and your edit, 32, has some beautiful uses of my color palette. But I personally prefer a style with less smoothness, so I think I would call this portrait finished.

Anyway, I am always interested in more points of view, so I'm still opened to any suggestion or discussion ;D

Offline FelipeFS

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:52:14 pm
First, loved your avatar.

In the overall, I like it without the AA. But, the shading that @32 did close to the collar is nice.

I just added some pixels in the part of the collar that goes to the back of the neck. I think it adds a bit of depth.

I can't find any other issue to point. :)

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 06:46:46 am
In my opinion the portrait already looks great, leave it, focus on the overall composition. The red-green contrast in the background draws a lot of attention. As does the triple outline border. Try to think of how to get the audience to look at your portrait and let the background fall back.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:37:01 am
Hi!

I have an edit trying to declutter background and giving less emphasis to the frame, but I think I have failed  :crazy:
I have also remove the white outline, that I didn't like from the beginning.

I'm really struggling with the color in the background. I have tried  more and less saturation, more and less brightness, a thousand of different hues... but I'm not happy with any.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:51:38 am
The problem there I think might be her shirt, the different saturations on the bits of it would make it hard to create a satisfactory contrast in addition to the lighter shades on the face.

It might help to try a diagonal gradient or something to that effect to create a better contrast for both?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |