AuthorTopic: [Feedback]landscape beginner  (Read 1487 times)

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

[Feedback]landscape beginner

on: January 01, 2017, 10:45:48 pm
Hey all,

After watching Bob Ross, I wanted to try landscapes out for myself in pixel art and this is what I was able to make.

Feedback would be nice and feel free to edit it to your liking.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback]landscape beginner

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:42:03 am
Hey, I touched up a couple of things. I'll see if I can explain my thought process

First is that the mountains were very "noisey", meaning they had a lot of scattered pixels mixing together. And that contrasted a lot with the rest of the piece. I think it still does a bit in my edit, but the first thing I did was use cleaner, larger strokes of color. I also replaced one of the colors so that there are only 3 colors.

Additionally, the mountains you had look very isolated. Mountains tend to group up together and make mountain ranges.
I think having the mountains both isolated and small make them look more like a pile of dirt than a mountain.

On that same point I think the shape is important. Mountains rise up from the ground, so they should feed continuously back into it

And then the last thing I did with the mountains is I added some anti-aliasing. You can see the mountains in the middle have be AA'd, whereas the ones on the sides have not. I did that by taking a midtone pixel between the cloud color and the dirt color and just added it to the sides.
Zoom in to see what I mean.

Okay, and then I touched up the clouds and I did a couple of things:
First is I made everything the same hue.
Next I thought that clouds were kind of going off in all directions and i thought they might look better if they were all horizontal. You did that well with the mid-tones, so I just did it more and also with the white.

last bit is a tip I was given a bit ago, which is that in general, white it too bright. consider how blocky it makes the non-AA'd mountains look. It helps to use a really bright off-white color rather than white.

I hope you like my edit and I hope it helps you.