AuthorTopic: [NEWBIE] [WIP] [CC] Video game character  (Read 7820 times)

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Re: [NEWBIE] [WIP] [CC] Video game character

Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:39 pm
What's not working? Any recommended tutorial for a simple jump anim?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 02:37:03 am
Works now! I think the problem is you're trying too hard to ape the megaman jump. Try a more natural spread-leg pose, like this picture here!

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 08:38:22 am
Thanks, that's what I was actually going to try next as the mega man pose isn't working. 

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 01:39:43 pm
This is completely unfinished, but would something like this work where there's 3 frames: squatting a bit to get ready to jump, flying up, falling down?

Edit: Just realized the squat might make the jump unresponsive... The jump should happen right when the player presses the jump button.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:57:57 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 02:35:08 pm
Hello,

I find it's easier to give an idea when you use a .gif for people than just the individual frames to give them a better idea. This increases your chances of getting feedback about your art.

I have a few suggestions if you're interested:

*Have you tried using colors do define shape instead of a black outline? Black outlines are useful for games to make the sprite stand out from the background but have you tried not having them in the actual sprite? You're losing some valuable pixels that way.

*Some colors are so similar there's little point in having them together as the eye won't pick them up due to lack of contrast. I'm talking about the grey/white of the face here.

*Have you looked how other games did it? Mario is simply designed and can give good ideas:

or Mega Man:

Mimic his position:

*For the actual animation, if you're concerned about responsiveness, just don't use any frames pre-jump (like mega man and mario on the nes).

*There are some really great animators out there. Check out SF III for jump animation ideas. There are tons!

I practiced learning and jumping animation by checking frame by frame how capcom did it. Maybe it'll help you too.

P.S.: I like the character, reminds me of ice climbers on the nes.

PPS: Sorry, didn't read the previous post about Mega Man, my bad!

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 01:11:21 pm
@Zizka thanks for the feedback! :)
I'm looking at possibly simplifying the character even more to make development time faster on the game. Maybe I'll lose the shadows completely (like Mega-Man). It might not looks as good but I can get the player character and enemies done faster if I use minimal shadowing and less colors and it'll have that retro NES look.