AuthorTopic: An angel  (Read 8067 times)

Offline defrobo

• View Profile

An angel

on: December 21, 2016, 04:14:40 am
Hi guys! This is my first post. I've been doing pixel art for a couple of months, and while I have passed the basic stage of being able to put stylus to tablet, I am now making works that I'm sure are filled with rookie mistakes. But I'd love to learn how to improve!

This piece took me quite a while. I can't think of anything else to improve it, but I get the feeling it's a bit ..meh.. Help me out, what should I do?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: An angel

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:00:19 am
Well, first thing I'm noticing is that the wings look way too segmented.
Here, a guide on how wings are structured:

You could fix what you have now somewhat though by simply making the top edge more solid to give it a more structured look.

On non-wing related stuff, her hair kinda billows out too much and gives her head an inflated appearance, i'm not sure if that's what you were going for but notable nonetheless.
The hands are also too small, and contrast pretty hard with the otherwise-realistic proportions. Don't cut things off at the wrist, and try to add those fingers and thumbs.
Finally, the feet need a lot of work. If you need a good guide, try to think of them primarily as basic shapes to simplify the process of drawing them.
Like so, this is a bit of a rough example but the method I use is I start with a ball then add two triangles and a square for the toes. The back triangle I then round out a bit, and I have a side foot.
The front is mostly the same too, I just add more squares and eliminate that second triangle!

This is a great method for simplified art styles, breaking things down into basic shapes like this has made a lot of things easier for me and it's a good habit to keep around for complicated bodyparts like feet or those horrible mutant flesh-spiders on our wrists we call hands.

The effort you put in really does show, though, so kudos for that! Keep going!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline defrobo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:36 pm
@MysteryMeat, thanks so much for taking the time to review! That wing reference is fantastic. So I basically had mine round the wrong way  :D

Yes, the hair was big and boofy, I subconsciously draw all females with beehive hairdos for some bizarre reason. Hands and feet are obviously very weak points, so thanks for pointing that out too. It's so obvious the hands are so small now you said it.

I haven't finished yet but wanted to post a WIP of what I could get done tonight. Note I haven't gotten to the feet yet, but I intend to. I think the wings look a bit stubby but the structure is a lot better.

I'll post again soon when I get some more time. Thanks again for your critique, you would not believe how useful it is  ;D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:28:33 pm
It looks quite stiff and the way you shade the breasts make them look flat.
I think you're limiting yourself too much with the eyes and mouth, you can get a somewhat real looking face even at this resolution.
And you should go back to doing huge hair, try drawing using bigger fluid motions, it might be hard if you're using a mouse though.
But things like hair, wings and cloth really need lots of successive brush strokes to work out the shape.
The wings look very mechanically drawn with all the straight and diagonal lines.
The palette could use a bit more contrast to bring out depth, especially the hair.
The arm on the right is kinda spaghetti like and on the left, the upper arm seems to the same thickness as the fore arm.

And here is also an edit.

Offline defrobo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:29:23 pm
Wow. Thanks Seiseki, that is kind of ...awesome. Your edit blows me away, it's better than anything I'd even thought up for this piece! I do use a little wacom tablet, so I'll have to practice my motion lines.

It's going to take me a while to decompress the details here (and to finish MysteryMeat's suggestions as well), so I'll report back when I have something to show.

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 08:34:07 pm
Heya, your pose is a little wonky. Think about the 3 dimensional constructions that make the foundation of the mannekin.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 02:43:12 am
Quick anatomy rework:

Push your line of action more, focus on creating a more dynamic pose. She is in the air let her pose show it.

Do something with her hands, just about anything works except hiding them, balling them up or as you did pancaking them.

Also, arms aren't spaghetti and elbows are a thing that exists. If you have issues with anatomy take a picture of yourself in the mirror, if you can't manage the pose without liquefying your joints than try something else. 

Showing the face straight on is boring and difficult to shade without looking flat. 3/4th view is God.

Get rid of your outline, if you have difficulty separating the sprite from the background without it, than you have an issue with colors.

Always exaggerate bust size. Boobs are double God.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 02:49:51 am
Quick anatomy rework:

Don't actually do this. People can, will, and frequently take great pleasure in mocking people who do this for no reason.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 05:01:56 am
Quick anatomy rework:

Don't actually do this. People can, will, and frequently take great pleasure in mocking people who do this for no reason.

In my experience it is more about how the boobies are drawn than the size of it. The problem is guys who tend to draw big inflated balloons without weight rather than the actual fatty boobie  tissue. I am at work atm but I will share an excellent tutorial on the subject when the office empties out.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:24:09 am
I'm pretty sure a lot of the criticism is because of the reason guys draw huge boobs and not the lack of a reason.. ::)