AuthorTopic: Difference between sizes for base and finished characters?  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Deidara

• View Profile
Sorry if this has been asked already but I didn't exactly know how to search for this correctly and google doesn't really bring up results. I was asked to make a character base for a 32x32 tileset game with a 32x64 character. Is there a certain rule of thumb for how much space "naked" characters should take up in this size, so their clothed versions do not fall beyond this boundary?  ???
Spritesheets on the web are all over the place, with some having character bases that only take up half of the size and others taking up the entire image.

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Re: Difference between sizes for base and finished characters?

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 03:43:39 pm
I I understand the fear of sounding unprofessional if you ask the client for clarifications, but it's not. Try to get as much information from the client about what he wants. Ask him to send examples of what exactly he wants,  both from an art-style standpoint and a technical standpoint.

Lack of questions looks worse than too many questions. Worst case scenario, you make something totally different than what the client wants.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:45:03 pm
Seconding Achrileg. There is no "rule" for how much space a character takes up, and the professional thing is to ask. Usually employers provide style examples to guide you, and if they haven't done that, you should ask if they have any such examples for you.
It's possible that they want you to make these decisions, in which case just go with what you think looks good and fits well with the rest of the assets.

Offline Deidara

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 02:24:47 pm
I I understand the fear of sounding unprofessional if you ask the client for clarifications, but it's not. Try to get as much information from the client about what he wants. Ask him to send examples of what exactly he wants,  both from an art-style standpoint and a technical standpoint.

Lack of questions looks worse than too many questions. Worst case scenario, you make something totally different than what the client wants.
Seconding Achrileg. There is no "rule" for how much space a character takes up, and the professional thing is to ask. Usually employers provide style examples to guide you, and if they haven't done that, you should ask if they have any such examples for you.
It's possible that they want you to make these decisions, in which case just go with what you think looks good and fits well with the rest of the assets.

Thank you for the replies. The client in question was a beginner at gamemaker and wasn't sure about this himself, but the issue has been resolved :)