AuthorTopic: Low color Tileset [C+C][WIP]  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Midnight Pastry

• View Profile

Low color Tileset [C+C][WIP]

on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:43 pm
I'm currently trying to develop a tileset that's slightly reminiscent of early Pokemon games and other topdown early RPGs and roguelike games. The tile size I've been using is 16x16, and my program of choice is Pyxel Edit. Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way of improving the forms without pushing the color count high, and am also trying to work on the composition of the attached picture.

Any tips on composition of the mockup/ tips on making the individual tiles better looking?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Low color Tileset [C+C][WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 03:57:20 pm
Your image embed isn't working. Try imgur, which is friendlier to hotlinking than dropbox.

The buildings appear to be in a different projection than the trees, shrubs, flowers, and rocks. We appear to be seeing a lot of the tops of the buildings, but almost exclusively the fronts of the latter.

In addition, the buildings have a fairly detailed, realistic look, while the shrubs are green blobs. They don't seem to belong together.

I can't tell what the ground tiles are meant to be. Single pixels aren't very descriptive. Is it sand with tiny bits of grass? I feel like something more solid-coloured would probably work better, and avoid those awkward halos of emptiness around objects. In addition, the ground tiles currently have fairly obvious tiling, which should be easier to avoid using sparsely interrupted solid areas compared to having an arrangement of single pixels.

The lines on the roof are a bit too intense, they're distracting. I think the detail level on them should be less dense. In addition, I can't actually tell what the lines are meant to represent, so those tiles probably need a rework anyway. One specific change I'd recommend is making them slope 45, so you can make the roof rise as much as you want*, and so that it doesn't look like you cut it off mid-tile:

(This edit only has the 45 degree angles, it does nothing to remedy the density of the details.)
* To make the roof heights variable, you shouldn't have that variability in distance between the lines/details, it should be about the same.

Offline Midnight Pastry

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:32:25 pm
Thanks for the critique! I'll try to start with the background, since that's probably the most glaring concern of mine.

Is there a way to directly attach the image within a post itself, or does it have to be done through a link to an image host?

Offline Midnight Pastry

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:54:23 pm
Here's a new link to the original piece, for anyone interested in giving me some advice