AuthorTopic: Posing Practice  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Posing Practice

on: December 04, 2016, 11:39:18 pm

Adapted from DesignDoll, but just a bit of shading practice and finding a pose.  The hands I feel are probably the roughest part, but I'm pretty happy with the rest of it.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Posing Practice

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:07:59 pm

Minor changes/fixes.

Her right(our left) arm is still kinda short, needs to be lengthened.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:42:24 am

Also with an alternate outfit because yes.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:33 am

Because why start a new topic. 

More DesignDoll, though I ended up playing with it because the right side looked really stiff.  The arms I'm not too too hot on, but I'm pretty proud of the rest.

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 03:38:34 pm
Hi Rosier, nice improvement!

I think it would really benefit you to try out something more complex than the usual two color shading.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 04:06:25 pm
I think two-colour shading's fine for now, myself. You (Rosier) still have plenty you can still learn without complicating things. For example, the contrast levels are rather low, and using two colours is a great way to build confidence with that. If you can get to the point where you can confidently use only a light and a dark colour to shade, adding more colours for a smoother transition will feel very easy, and you'll be able to focus on perfecting pixel-level stuff instead of juggling that with learning colour.
In addition, you're still shading a bit like pillow-shading in many cases, and even when you're not, there isn't a strong sense of light direction, and I'm not sure the forms you're conveying with the shadows are what you mean. For example, the first girl's shape suggests she has a thin waist and a flat stomach, but the shadows suggest a round belly, and on the latest one, your shadows suggest all kinds of dips on her thighs.

I know anatomy's been your focus, and I guess the fact that my critique all has to do with your shadows means you've been getting better at that (assuming you're learning from DesignDoll and not just copying what it spits out, anyway xP).

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 01:14:14 am

I suppose I could play around with more colors, though I'd have to check around for some examples...  I tried giving these two another once over on shading, based on the light source coming from the top left/where my avatar is. 

Is there like some website or tool that sort of "places" a light source somewhere?  Like If I could take a DesignDoll and place a sun somewhere off in the corner?  I feel like that should exist and that it'd be helpful, but I think I make some improvements nonetheless.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 01:35:15 am
Thought you could freely place light sources in DesingDoll?  ???

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 02:12:21 am
Thought you could freely place light sources in DesingDoll?  ???

So there was a drop down (up?) menu at the bottom that I never noticed before...  I'll have to play with that and see if it helps.

Offline Heehahou

• Having fun.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 04:29:53 pm

Because why start a new topic. 

More DesignDoll, though I ended up playing with it because the right side looked really stiff.  The arms I'm not too too hot on, but I'm pretty proud of the rest.

I liked this pose a lot.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:13:28 am

Had trouble finding a more dynamic pose, but I can use the excuse that I wanted simpler shading.