AuthorTopic: Neko Girl  (Read 5565 times)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Neko Girl

on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:16 pm

Hey, I decided to work on a character because I'm pretty bad at them, any suggestions to improve it?

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Re: Neko Girl

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:00 pm

I practiced a bit, and did another neko.
Any suggestions?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:05:20 pm
Well I think the biggest problems are the noise and the choice of colors (later one might just be might)
so I tried making a quick edit (the edit isn't good in any way as I'm not really good at this haha)

Maybe this helps maybe this is complete nonsense

Your general progress is amazing btw!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:11:31 pm by Pusty »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:19:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Edited my last neko and made a new one!

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:02:14 pm
try to play with color choice some more, santa neko seems a bit washed out.

p.s. the face on santa neko is much better, gj

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:06:10 pm
I liked the first neko girl the most. She looks very lively and the tail seems to start at the right place. Her pose is interesting and there is this glow in her eyes.
What I don't like about the others is the fact, that their hair looks more like wigs. The colour of the hair looks unnaturall. Try to seperate the ears with at least a darker tone of the hair colour. You want to point out that special thing, the ears, that differs them from "normal girls".
Additional, there is a lot of hair for small heads like this.
Anime characters have a big focus on the eyes or cool poses. In most cases the hair is just there to frame the eyes or to give the character some movement. Your pictures seem to focus on the hair. That's why both, character and hair, don't fit together.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:17:38 pm by Runensucher »

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:50:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Though I disagree about the hair part, I intentionally did her hair gray and unnatural, just like the people with green or red hair in anime. I wanted her to look adorable with a lot of hair.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56:21 pm
Started making an edit yesterday and got carried away.  Maybe it can give you some ideas.

Offline vleize

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:08 am
Whoops lots of people have already added to this haha but I think I've got something new to add so might as well! So I did a quick lil redraw:

Just to walk you through some of the things that I did differently:

>The first thing I noticed was the arms! I'm not really too sure if you wanted to do like some foreshortening or something, but in general, the arms are approximately the same length between shoulder and elbow and elbow to fingertip (a lil shorter for the forearm!)

>Next up, the hair! I chose to simplify it a little bit, but a good way to think of hair is in chunks, and when you shade that way, it makes the shapes more distinctive and less visually busy, especially when there's a character with a lot of hair. You always want to make sure that the hair shading looks like it will connect the strands back to the scalp!

>For the body, don't be afraid to give her hips! If you're drawing a female character, they generally tend to be one of the most distinctive features! (even if she's meant to be younger, the structure of her pelvis will still be wider then what you have there - make sure that you're looking at some sort of reference for people)

>In relation to the pelvis, when you widen it the legs will end up in the proper place too. Currently they're tapering too much at the bottom of the skirt in a way that would indicate the crotch would be like right at the bottom of the skirt.

> The ears are a really prominent feature on cat girls! Don't be afraid to exaggerate them more! Personally I like big ears on cat girls, but regardless of what size you draw them at, they should always stand out from the hair in some way (I added a pink inner ear!)

>Almost forgot about this oops, watch the size of your hands! I kind of have a hard time describing the size comparison here, so try and look at reference again!

>Tail position! The shape of your tail looks really good! But you want to make sure it's implied that the connection is at the tailbone/pelvis. In your image you could maybe even have it coming through the hair or something!

>When you're shading a shirt on a character with breasts try not to create too much of a cleft between the boobs! The fabric should sit on top of them, not between them.

>The last thing that I can think of right away is the face shape! Yours is a little too slim. This is another case that reference would be really helpful!

I think overall your colour choice is pretty good! The only thing I really adjusted was the highlight of the hair, which personally i think comes across as more subtle.

That's just my two cents, anyway. Most of the things I'm pointing out are anatomical, and come down to looking at reference when you're working on anatomy! Overall your colour choice for this piece was pretty good, and I like the overall ideas a lot! I think if you just work a little more on the beginning shapes soon you'll have a pretty great cat girl!

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:30:31 pm
Those edits look awesome! I tried to edit mine, but I failed very badly. I'm going to take a break from doing characters for now, sorry about this. I'll get back into this as soon as possible.