AuthorTopic: [C+C] Treasure Chest  (Read 5005 times)

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

[C+C] Treasure Chest

on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:31 am

How can i make this treasure chest look much more juicy and rewarding to open? Right now it doesnt even look like a chest. It feels more like a mechanical briefcase. The major flaw i see is the fact that it doesnt really have texture.. Any advice?

Offline Pixelnick

• pixelnicks
    • eagleislandgame
    • View Profile
    • Pixelnicks

Re: [C+C] Treasure Chest

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:09:46 pm
The key issue for me is that it doesn't spring open in an exciting manner, nor display rewarding goodies when it has opened. I want to see expensive riches, big golden goblets etc, not a bunch of little insignificant coins.

I've attached the chest animation from my game to use as a bit of an animation reference.

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:47:03 pm
The key issue for me is that it doesn't spring open in an exciting manner, nor display rewarding goodies when it has opened. I want to see expensive riches, big golden goblets etc, not a bunch of little insignificant coins.

I've attached the chest animation from my game to use as a bit of an animation reference.

How can i make it look more exciting as it opens?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:03:02 pm
Instead of a jelly jiggle you could give it more of a tilting bounce up off the ground. I know of some games that do this but can't think of what they were, some action game like ratchet and clank or kingdom hearts I think?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:34:47 pm
The key thing to making motion look exciting is to avoid linear timing. By that, I mean avoid having each frame (=moment in time) be the same amount of physical movement away from its neighbouring frames, like you have in your sprite. Instead, have speed-ups and slow-downs, and have things overshoot their motion, and have segments lag behind.

In Pixelnick's example, the chest starts opening slowly, then greatly speeds up, and then it bounces a little as it comes to a stop, this feels very springy and happy. If it had bounced at the start, it would've given a different look, one of hesitation, or of difficulty opening.

Look into animation timing. It might seem like a very general and basic thing, but that seems to be your struggle currently. Learn about timing and I'm sure you'll have an easier time figuring out how to make your chest animations great, along with all your other animations. Here's a very basic illustration to get you started. All of the animations have the same number of frames and the frame rate is constant, but the timing of the motion is different.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:33:24 pm by eishiya »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:35 pm
Another idea could be to roll with that briefcase thing and actually make it one for things like documents or item rewards, rather than money rewards! Would be a neat visual cue to help players understand better what rewards they're getting!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 03:03:24 am
Hey everyone. After seeing all of your replies i decided to COMPLETELY change up my chest design to make it look more rare and precious and contain ALOT of gold and etc etc.. I changed up the color palette and the shape of the chest

However, it STILL feels weak in its current state. It obviously isnt finished but i thought id show it anyway

PS: its inspired by clash royales magical chest

REFERENCE

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:47:29 am

Defined a more clear 2nd ramp and made colors more exciting to match reference and purpose of the chest (Woo loot!). Tried to do something with perspective, like putting the gem further to our left, though canvas is small. Use some clusters of pixels to define the form like on the darker bumpy thingy on the reference. Try to have the colors mean something on the chest since right now the blobs of darker color on the non darker bumpy thingy part seem randomly placed. GL  :y:
EDIT:
Also here are some old chests I drew a bit over a year ago (Note, there is a few extra frames of anticipation b/c they would be made to jump in-engine so I had to match the timing)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:50:52 am by yaomon17 »

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:17:09 am
Oh My God.... Your improved version of the chest looks beautiful...... Im at a loss for words man it looks amazing.. The thing is whenever i try to use colours that are bright next to ones that arent the sprite ends up looking like crap. How do you make the colors complement eachother so well? Also i cant help but ask how do you sculpt the chest into the perfect shape? I can almost feel the texture of the chest when i touch it with my hands lol..

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:46:42 am
well, i decided to change the colors so it doesnt look like i completely copied that damn thing;

OLD:

NEW:

So basically i realised that i wasnt using enough colors to properly define the chest so i added some. I also focused on making the brighter areas bright and the darker areas dark. thoughts? I think im slowly improving :>