AuthorTopic: [WIP] What should I improve?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline GekkoSlo

• View Profile

[WIP] What should I improve?

on: October 31, 2016, 08:56:11 pm
Me and a friend are making a game and I am responsible for the art.
I have done some pixel in the past and I feel I am decent.

When I was creating a new armor set I looked up Starbound Armor for inspiration and noticed it's way better than mine. I changed it to match my style with no outlines and simplified it a bit, but it was still way better than the rest of the armor sets.

So my question is: What should I do to make my armor look more 3d and less flat and boring?

I apologize for white background as I am new and don't know how to do that. :(

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] What should I improve?

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:20 pm
Well, first thing might be to give it outlines, like the starbound sprites do! For example, let's take this guy here as an example:

In addition to giving him a set of handy-dandy arms, I've reshaped the head (only slightly) and added those all-important broken up outlines, to imply the shapes of the limbs. Try to do some non-pixel studies of anatomy, it can help immensely with making proper stylization like this!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline GekkoSlo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] What should I improve?

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:00 pm
Thank you for the feedback! I may actually change to giving them outlines, as from your example, it looks really good. I have also forgot to say about the arms. They are not there as they will be added later and will rotate so they are not a part of the "main" armor.
Thank you :D