AuthorTopic: Attack Animation  (Read 28130 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Attack Animation

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:31:16 am

I see what you mean.  I cleaned it up just a tiny bit and made the effect sort of flow directly into it rather than repeat frames.

And this is where I'm at with the girl.  It may be because there aren't as many unique frames just yet, but I definitely prefer Blue so far.  I'm going to clean it up a bit with more hold frames and add at least one more attack and see where it gets me, but any suggestions are welcome.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 03:05:30 pm
New red character is looking good so far! I await the hold frames clean up and additional attack! I really like the energy of the fighting guy too.

What's that thing that floats above the red character for a second? Energy? Is it me or does the first "pose" of white haired fighting character look too tall compared to the other poses? It seemed you had the character morphing sizes in some areas which is all pretty much fixed. But I feel like the first movement looks a bit off and it might be the characters height. Just my opinion. Keep up the awesome work!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:55:32 pm
New red character is looking good so far! I await the hold frames clean up and additional attack! I really like the energy of the fighting guy too.

What's that thing that floats above the red character for a second? Energy? Is it me or does the first "pose" of white haired fighting character look too tall compared to the other poses? It seemed you had the character morphing sizes in some areas which is all pretty much fixed. But I feel like the first movement looks a bit off and it might be the characters height. Just my opinion. Keep up the awesome work!

She's Pink, which I say because if I continue this sort of thing, there's a clearer Red that would be next.  Just don't want it to get confusing, and the thing floating above her is a magic book that opens up, with the idea that it's helping her cast. 
As for Blue, I think it's more that the other frames are too short.  The character is supposed to be pretty tall, so I should probably make the frames of the knee attack and the shot reflect that a bit more.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 01:59:54 pm

Decided to drop the book.  Felt it distracted from the main thing I wanted, which was the punch.

For PLOT REASONS, her fist becomes incredibly heavy when she activates the attack, which is why it goes from arched back punch to on the ground.  She's supposed to be basically dragging her fist until the actual moment of attack, which is the most devastating thing in her arsenal, with the rest just set up.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:50 am
hmm I can see your effort to sell the fist but I'm afraid you're not selling it currently, it just seems she's kind of a shady character and that's why she has that body language. I imagine the moment where she makes a sort of downward punch with her fist is supposed to be when it gets heavy. have it stay on the ground, dont have her pick it up instantly afterwards. when she goes into the next pose, have the arm still dragging behind her, just adding a motion blur there to get it to where you want it to be ereases the heavyness, have the arm slooowly pick up inertia till it gets to the point where she can move it, that's basically what heavy things are, things that need a lot of effort to pick up inertia.

also, dont have it wind up just to end up back on the ground, that is pointless =/ I'd either go from the wind up to the teleport, or simply avoid the windup and have her stand with her back to the camera trying to drag the fist forward and slowly doing it until she finally goes into the teleport

also when she teleports forward, dont hold the position, that doesnt help sell the heavyness, it's just anticlimactic. Heavy things have greater inertia, they're harder to get moving but they're also harder to get to stop, so the speed of the dash should give the fist momentum so that when she teleports forward she can go right into the uppercut...if anything have the fist drag her body upwards afterwards, try to make her look like a ragdoll being dragged by it if you can.

actually, probably showing you something I made would be bigger help.
what happens here with the sword should happen with your fist
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:48:01 am by Conzeit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:01 am

I want to keep the arm dropping and dragging, as it's been stuck in my head as the main function of the whole thing. Hopefully the bit of editing with the effects cleared that up, but I do want it.  To compromise, I hopefully made it seem more weighty in how she sort of drags in along the ground before being able to lift it to a ready position.  I feel as though the effects could use some work, but hopefully making it a straight punch sells it a bit better.

I don't think the final attack is quite as heavy as I want it to be, but it's definitely an improvement.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 09:47:49 pm

Another oneee

Sort of a jab, ax kick, summon energy sword, swing. 

Kind of cheated and messed with frame speed on both of the to-the-ground transitions because it looked less messy.  Ideally I'd like to improve those, the sword (which is supposed to have a lot more energy to it, like a constant flame rather than straight), and maybe something to improve the slash.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 03:09:17 am
He stops pretty long with that sword, I'd reduce the duration of that bit by half at least.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:04 am

Shortened it.  I'm starting to think I should rework the slash.  It doesn't have the effect I want.

Also changed Pink's punch so it's more of a hook.  It's based on Alex's from Third Strike in an effort to make it look a bit heavier.

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:39:01 am

Shortened it.  I'm starting to think I should rework the slash.  It doesn't have the effect I want.

Even if the blade appears out of nowhere, he KNOWS this and will squeeze it into his enemy's body. At the current state, he just stands there and let the blade do all the work.