AuthorTopic: Attack Animation  (Read 28122 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Attack Animation

on: October 28, 2016, 12:50:40 am

Tried out a bit more involved animation focusing on key frames and maybe a bit more hold frames than was necessary.  I don't plan on shading it, so I tried to make the colors recognizable.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Attack Animation

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:47:14 am
Looks pretty good, very anime looking. I think the bend on the back for the burst is a bit much though, a more straight lean back might work better.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:22:26 pm
very nice dynamic animation.
animation flow looks pretty good too.
pay attention to the limbs though. they change sizes a lot. looks almost gummylike.
and i'm not sure what the first move does. is it a ground pound? a dodge? a preparation for the jump? try to emphasize on the motion to deliver its purpose.
mostly nitpicks though :y:

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 01:21:37 am

@Meat, straightened out the back a bit. 

@wzl, made the arm length more consistent between key frames, mostly in the rising knee area and a bit in the firing position.
First move is just cool action shot for the sake of cool action shot.  I guess it flows better to the jump than the idle, but yeah, it's just for looks.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 01:31:14 am
Last section is still awkward, needs more windup I think. Have him bend backward to land or maybe stumble forward into firing position instead of going straight to it?

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 12:19:17 pm
Only part I don't like is the transition from highest jump point to the crouch, it is too instant and jarring.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:47 am

Ax kicksss

Definitely a better transition to the ground, and hopefully a bit better to lead into the wind up.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:29 pm
just wanted to say I love seeing you do stuff like this on your own with no input, it seems you really have internalized it =)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 06:29:57 am
just wanted to say I love seeing you do stuff like this on your own with no input, it seems you really have internalized it =)

Thanks a lot!

And yet, I feel as though I still don't have neutral stances down...

I'll be animating her next, and while I feel the sprite looks fine, I'd like it to have a lot more character.  Yeah it's just for the sake of the full animation and isn't the main focus, but I want it to convey more without it just being the same as the other one.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 07:26:59 am
Regarding the previous animation, I tweaked some of the timing issues I saw so you could better see what I meant!

What I did here was use squash-and-stretch to give the landing a bit more impact, added a frame or two here and there to keep the "beat" of the drawing going, and added that lean-back as I was seeing it!
I also had a happy accident copy-pasting frames, the first frame of the landing with the blue still in from the kick makes great play as a smoother for the formation of the energy ball, as if the power is being "transferred" from limb to limb as it's used!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:31:16 am

I see what you mean.  I cleaned it up just a tiny bit and made the effect sort of flow directly into it rather than repeat frames.

And this is where I'm at with the girl.  It may be because there aren't as many unique frames just yet, but I definitely prefer Blue so far.  I'm going to clean it up a bit with more hold frames and add at least one more attack and see where it gets me, but any suggestions are welcome.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 03:05:30 pm
New red character is looking good so far! I await the hold frames clean up and additional attack! I really like the energy of the fighting guy too.

What's that thing that floats above the red character for a second? Energy? Is it me or does the first "pose" of white haired fighting character look too tall compared to the other poses? It seemed you had the character morphing sizes in some areas which is all pretty much fixed. But I feel like the first movement looks a bit off and it might be the characters height. Just my opinion. Keep up the awesome work!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:55:32 pm
New red character is looking good so far! I await the hold frames clean up and additional attack! I really like the energy of the fighting guy too.

What's that thing that floats above the red character for a second? Energy? Is it me or does the first "pose" of white haired fighting character look too tall compared to the other poses? It seemed you had the character morphing sizes in some areas which is all pretty much fixed. But I feel like the first movement looks a bit off and it might be the characters height. Just my opinion. Keep up the awesome work!

She's Pink, which I say because if I continue this sort of thing, there's a clearer Red that would be next.  Just don't want it to get confusing, and the thing floating above her is a magic book that opens up, with the idea that it's helping her cast. 
As for Blue, I think it's more that the other frames are too short.  The character is supposed to be pretty tall, so I should probably make the frames of the knee attack and the shot reflect that a bit more.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 01:59:54 pm

Decided to drop the book.  Felt it distracted from the main thing I wanted, which was the punch.

For PLOT REASONS, her fist becomes incredibly heavy when she activates the attack, which is why it goes from arched back punch to on the ground.  She's supposed to be basically dragging her fist until the actual moment of attack, which is the most devastating thing in her arsenal, with the rest just set up.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:50 am
hmm I can see your effort to sell the fist but I'm afraid you're not selling it currently, it just seems she's kind of a shady character and that's why she has that body language. I imagine the moment where she makes a sort of downward punch with her fist is supposed to be when it gets heavy. have it stay on the ground, dont have her pick it up instantly afterwards. when she goes into the next pose, have the arm still dragging behind her, just adding a motion blur there to get it to where you want it to be ereases the heavyness, have the arm slooowly pick up inertia till it gets to the point where she can move it, that's basically what heavy things are, things that need a lot of effort to pick up inertia.

also, dont have it wind up just to end up back on the ground, that is pointless =/ I'd either go from the wind up to the teleport, or simply avoid the windup and have her stand with her back to the camera trying to drag the fist forward and slowly doing it until she finally goes into the teleport

also when she teleports forward, dont hold the position, that doesnt help sell the heavyness, it's just anticlimactic. Heavy things have greater inertia, they're harder to get moving but they're also harder to get to stop, so the speed of the dash should give the fist momentum so that when she teleports forward she can go right into the uppercut...if anything have the fist drag her body upwards afterwards, try to make her look like a ragdoll being dragged by it if you can.

actually, probably showing you something I made would be bigger help.
what happens here with the sword should happen with your fist
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:48:01 am by Conzeit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:01 am

I want to keep the arm dropping and dragging, as it's been stuck in my head as the main function of the whole thing. Hopefully the bit of editing with the effects cleared that up, but I do want it.  To compromise, I hopefully made it seem more weighty in how she sort of drags in along the ground before being able to lift it to a ready position.  I feel as though the effects could use some work, but hopefully making it a straight punch sells it a bit better.

I don't think the final attack is quite as heavy as I want it to be, but it's definitely an improvement.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 09:47:49 pm

Another oneee

Sort of a jab, ax kick, summon energy sword, swing. 

Kind of cheated and messed with frame speed on both of the to-the-ground transitions because it looked less messy.  Ideally I'd like to improve those, the sword (which is supposed to have a lot more energy to it, like a constant flame rather than straight), and maybe something to improve the slash.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 03:09:17 am
He stops pretty long with that sword, I'd reduce the duration of that bit by half at least.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:04 am

Shortened it.  I'm starting to think I should rework the slash.  It doesn't have the effect I want.

Also changed Pink's punch so it's more of a hook.  It's based on Alex's from Third Strike in an effort to make it look a bit heavier.

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:39:01 am

Shortened it.  I'm starting to think I should rework the slash.  It doesn't have the effect I want.

Even if the blade appears out of nowhere, he KNOWS this and will squeeze it into his enemy's body. At the current state, he just stands there and let the blade do all the work.

Offline danmanr98

• DanieruArt
    • http://desudanieru.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 02:02:14 pm

Also changed Pink's punch so it's more of a hook.  It's based on Alex's from Third Strike in an effort to make it look a bit heavier.

I'm loving the smoothness of all of these animations.
I do feel that the Ending to the Punch should be faster (Or remove frames I suppose). I understand you want it to feel heavy, but the initiation to the punch I feel is where it shows how heavy the punch will be. You've given a lot of emphasis, power and weight to the startup of the punch, and I feel it's not required to have so many frames for the end of the punch.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 01:20:11 am

Also fixed the effect again because I can't be happy.

@Runensucher,
That isn't a stab or anything.  That's him just brandishing his sword (Appears from magic) before he swings.  It's not meant to be any sort of attack.
I'll see about reworking it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 12:42:21 am

Instead of fixing Red, I slacked off in class and worked on Green.  I got as far as the end of the Billiards looking magic and the subsequent disappearance, but cleaned it up and finished it today. 

I'm a lot happier with this one over Red, even if there isn't quite as much going on comparatively.  Most of the focus was on the effects, which I think turned out pretty great.  There's the one part where the staff just appears, but I think it's clean enough to go relatively unnoticed, plus it's magic anyway.   

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:11 am
You could add a small tweak where it pops out of a black magic hole or something without interrupting the flow too much. I certainly didn't notice it though and it looks pretty solid.

If you're going for billiards magic though it seems remiss to not have some bankshot ball fun!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 03:25:42 am

The three hitting each other at the end was a happy accident.  Otherwise, they would have just faded off out side of a decent range of where the enemy would be.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 03:44:58 am
SUPER slick. That's a pretty rad summon animation and it sells a skill aspect to his spellwork!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 06:08:23 am

Golems are pretty cool.  Applying the theories behind them is cooler. 

Aka, this character's specialty is elemental and golem creation, which she uses to make a number of prosthetic arms. 

So because this might be a bit hard to follow, she scoops up a bunch of clay, removes her main arm, uses it to punch, summons a new arm, shoots lightning which is caught by a third dirt arm so as not to cause collateral damage, summons a giant stone spike, then resummons her main arm.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:47 am

The bard brings the noise, or otherwise, every music effect I felt like cramming in there, plus a reference to the 1812 Overture by  Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, aka the one with the cannons in it.  Her whole thing is music, and I feel this follows a decent enough beat.

And also, because I never posted this here, this is what the outfit is based on.  I made this for a school project, so I made it really simple to animate for time reasons, but ended up loving it because it's so cute.  It was for a game I made, and I just ended up making it about this character because the challenge was adding cues via sound, so magic music girl seemed appropriate.  Plus, look at how bouncy she it!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 10:15:19 am
her lack of pants is very distracting, but not in a bad way. gives it a sorta punky vibe!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
her lack of pants is very distracting, but not in a bad way. gives it a sorta punky vibe!

It's supposed to be a one piece swimsuit with long sleeves.  She's just got great legs, so that's why it merges like that.  I think that makes sense. 

I like characters having a bunch of outfits, so I decided to have the callback, plus it varied it from the other characters.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 01:19:11 am

I want to keep the arm dropping and dragging, as it's been stuck in my head as the main function of the whole thing. Hopefully the bit of editing with the effects cleared that up, but I do want it.  To compromise, I hopefully made it seem more weighty in how she sort of drags in along the ground before being able to lift it to a ready position.  I feel as though the effects could use some work, but hopefully making it a straight punch sells it a bit better.

I don't think the final attack is quite as heavy as I want it to be, but it's definitely an improvement.

this was ages ago, but what I meant with all of my post was not to tell you to remove the arm dragging, what I meant is have it drag a lot lot more. Have her only be able to pick up her arm at the very moment she makes her uppercut, and make the rest of the animation her using all of her bodyweight and strength just to get that arm to move a little, in fact what I meant was that the power of her dash should be the only thing that actually gets that arm to move, and the result of that dash is the arm moving in a pendulum motion that makes her whole body drag helplessly behind that super heavy fist moving at the speed of her dash, and ends as the uppercut. That would really sell the unbelievable amount of weight it's supposed to have.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:22:11 am by Conzeit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 05:41:20 am

this was ages ago, but what I meant with all of my post was not to tell you to remove the arm dragging, what I meant is have it drag a lot lot more. Have her only be able to pick up her arm at the very moment she makes her uppercut, and make the rest of the animation her using all of her bodyweight and strength just to get that arm to move a little, in fact what I meant was that the power of her dash should be the only thing that actually gets that arm to move, and the result of that dash is the arm moving in a pendulum motion that makes her whole body drag helplessly behind that super heavy fist moving at the speed of her dash, and ends as the uppercut. That would really sell the unbelievable amount of weight it's supposed to have.

Yeah, a bit late, but whatever. 

I was planning on making another set with these same characters, because while I like what I've done, I'm not 100% sold on my execution.  I like where Pink ended up, but I think I can visualize the kind of thing you're talking about.  I still got one last one I'll do, then I think I'll see about working on improving them.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 04:46:53 am

And that's seven.

I like how this animates, but I feel it's a bit less impactful than what I imagined...  I'll see about correcting that when I redo it, but if there's anything I'm really missing, let me know.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:09 am
Time the slam better with the movement and give it less frames so it's faster. Possibly even vibrate or add some crack-effects to it for more force

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:16 pm
You have a very pose-to-pose animation style, but you for whatever reason smooth out and add frames during the fastest movements, yet the motions which should be slow are too quick.

I feel as though you are lacking anticipation of motion too. Too little wind-up before movement, especially if you're using a super-exaggerated animation style.

Here's how I'd start to approach in fixing the issues. Added a small lean back before the big movement at the beginning, removed a few frames, duplicated a few frames, added a small anticpatory motion before the raised arms. I removed the end for the sake of saving time. Obviously it's not polished up, but I hope I could get my points across.

Hopefully, I could help. By the way, are these made for anything specific, or just for fun?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:18 am
Time the slam better with the movement and give it less frames so it's faster. Possibly even vibrate or add some crack-effects to it for more force

It didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, but the arm should be treated as an independent entity of the girl.  It's a summon pretty much, and does things at it's own pace. 

You have a very pose-to-pose animation style, but you for whatever reason smooth out and add frames during the fastest movements, yet the motions which should be slow are too quick.

I feel as though you are lacking anticipation of motion too. Too little wind-up before movement, especially if you're using a super-exaggerated animation style.

Here's how I'd start to approach in fixing the issues. Added a small lean back before the big movement at the beginning, removed a few frames, duplicated a few frames, added a small anticpatory motion before the raised arms. I removed the end for the sake of saving time. Obviously it's not polished up, but I hope I could get my points across.

Hopefully, I could help. By the way, are these made for anything specific, or just for fun?

I played around with the removing of the frames, and changed some things that I felt needed a change.  The skeleton arm is now supposed to be a sort of bladed arm and has a more detached movement, the girl disappears in a different way other than just breaking apart, and I completely reworked the last bit to have a bit more action. 

As for what they are, they're pretty much power displays for the characters I've designed for the sake of world building, animation/general art practice, and just cause it's fun.   For example, this character is associated with demons and spirits (They're all based on general RPG archetypes, in order Hero, Healer, Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Bard, Tiefling), which is why she had horns, and why her hair goes white.  In this, she uses her magic to make the portal, summoning one of her demons (the arm), uses spirit magic/another demon to become ghostlike, then summons the black and white demon. 
When I make another set of these, I plan on utilizing their other powers/traits/etc. with what I've learned here.  There's a lot of stuff I couldn't execute properly or as well as I wanted to, so I'll try again.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:36 am

Ended up making a bit of a smaller scale animation trying for some more snappy movements.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 05:51:52 am

Bootknife.

I like this one a bit better.  I don't know why, but it feels a lot cleaner to me.  I started playing around with a gimmick which is that the magic effects/some smear frames take place at a different speed.  I think it worked out here pretty well.

Offline mafon2

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:58 pm
I think the hair should be more "kinetic".

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 07:32:30 pm

Added a bit of ponytail movement and reversed where it falls from to better fit the force I was going for.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:58 am

Snap.  I've decided to try and make each of the seven characters do the same sort of attack, which is a basic magic projectile.  I want to try and make them unique from each other, and play off of the character using them. 
I feel I didn't 100% nail the actual firing for this, though I like the rest.  The hair blowing might need some improvement, though.

Offline WarFriendsTeam

• View Profile
    • WarFriends

Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 06:03:37 pm
Looks nice, good job  :)
Game Cheats And Strategies Everyone Should Be Aware Of

It feels like every body likes to play the war friends free gold games. People from all of avenues of life are going for a video cheat war friends immediately on computing devices, consoles as well as devices. The subsequent guide presents many

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:21 am

Blue was poorly controlled, Red here was designed to be rawer and unshaped.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 06:02:18 am
Try giving him some dynamic cell shading to accentuate the fire!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 10:01:37 pm

A bit like that?  I tried to make it so it looks like the fire side is lighter, but I'm not 100% on it.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:55 am
Nah nah, shadows are what I meant! Give him heavy shadows!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 09:55:11 pm

More like that?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 01:00:59 am
I didn't even notice those shadows at first. Those are definitely not "heavy" shadows xP
Since the character will probably transition from regular shadows to these heavier shadows, perhaps you should have lighter colours for the lit part in addition to the shadows, so it looks more like there's a bright light.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:25 am
Try solid black, or close to. Think noir!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 04:55:20 am

I feel like it should flash for some reason, but I can't think of as to why.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:27 am

Things I did here:
-hue-shifted shadows, to add a bit of red to where the fire lights up the scalp
-consistant shadows across all parts, notably the shirt and hair
-added "bright flashes" for when the fire got bigger, making it seem more intense and bright

Things I didn't do:
-try very hard to keep said shadows consistent
-add any shading to the arms or face
-realize he had a ponytail and thats what the whippy bit was

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 06:09:06 am

Went for normalizing the shadows and softening the brightest bright on the hair.  I felt it kind of clashed, tbh. 

I've also been looking at this one again, and I want to make it work better.  I stared at it for like an hour trying to think of how to make the follow up, but I couldn't figure anything out.
Aaaand now I want to add shading to this, too...  That can come later.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 08:03:48 am

Tried for a bit of the light shading, though I think the ebb and flow kinda made it a bit off.  I also... "sharpened" the actual firing.  To me, it ended up looking more natural than the hard stop, plus getting rid of the projectile (which would be a separate animation anyway) seems to have worked. 

And Pink.  Hers is a bit lighter than the others, but she's basically pulling a pre-prepared spell out of a tome and tossing it.  She has lighting, as well, though I'm not sure I nailed that, either.

Offline lecongkhuong6

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:29 am
very nice dynamic animation.
animation flow looks pretty good too.
pay attention to the limbs though. they change sizes a lot. looks almost gummylike.
and i'm not sure what the first move does. is it a ground pound? a dodge? a preparation for the jump? try to emphasize on the motion to deliver its purpose.
mostly nitpicks though
Nguyên liệu mỹ phẩm, Glycerin, Dầu jojoba, Vitamin E, Sáp ong, Sáp nhũ hóa mềm mượt, Bột than hoạt tính, dầu cọ, chất hoạt động bề măt, Tinh dầu trà xanh, Gia công mỹ phẩm,

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 04:05:21 am

Here's where I'm at with this animation so far. Next up is her throwing it, but I want to see if there's any glaring flaws so far.  Course shading isn't there yet, but I do plan on doing so.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 03:16:11 am

Still getting used to the size, though this still turned out far simpler than it really should have.  Ah, well, practice is practice.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 04:45:18 am
Hmm, maybe have her crouch down first? Like she's pulling up energy from the ground the way peach tugs up radishes in smb2

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: April 09, 2017, 09:24:51 pm

Also changed the burst to more of a snap.  I think it turned out a lot better, or at least a bit more inspired.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #58 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:58 pm
Lookin' good! Get the details on there so you don't fall into the trap of just sketching out anims though, haha

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:14 pm
Lookin' good! Get the details on there so you don't fall into the trap of just sketching out anims though, haha

Just wanted to get the motions down.  I realized I messed up the timing on the flick downwards, but I think I might redo her legs there, anyway, so they aren't copies of the base.  I'll go for it then.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 09:49:32 am
Edit:

I really miss the connection between the motion of the character and the balls. She swiftly makes her hand movement, but the balls just kind of float away. It was kind of hard for me to try to fix this, but I think I kind of succeeded(?). I feel the biggest problem is that the hand crossing is a very awkward movement that is very hard to read in silouette. It would be better to have her make a pose like this:
which is much more readable.

I also think that at the end of the motion her hands go back in place weirdly fluid, but her body doesnt recover at all, it just looks unnatural.
You get in the bowl

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 06:07:59 pm
The idea with the magic is that she summons a ball carrying other balls and sends them out.  I started with her T posing like in your edit, but I felt it looked too samey compared to the rest, and crossing gives her a bit more flavor IMO.  I do agree her moving her arms back is a little too smooth compared to her torso, so I'll either make it snappier, or make the body a bit more fluid in that part. 

I think I'll work on reworking the magic altogether.  It's not really what I had envisioned, and the animation changed along the way, too.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:16 pm
The biggest inconsistency in the last animation is that her motion doesn't coincide with her spell. She's doing a downward motion while the spile spikes forward. This creates a dissonance and conceals intent.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 04:29:38 am

I decided just to scrap everything and rework it.  This is based on some animations from King of Fighters, specifically Iori and Kyo, and I think it turned out far better, which I guess is obvious as to why. 

I like where this is at.  It's not a perfect copy of the animations, so I think I might be able to start shading.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:47 am
Looking good, but I'd commit further with the second motion, extend the arm more. As it is it creates a small readability issue with the silhouette since it stops while overlapping the face.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:14 pm

Shading on the arms I'm not 100% on.  The ball is supposed to be light based, so I made it so it's mostly lighter nearer to it, but I'm not sure if that worked perfectly.  The hair when she first throws it up, too, looks a bit off.  Rest looks fine to me, though.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:57 pm
I think the problem might lie with some slight line-wobbling you got going on, try and refine the lines around the hair to keep things consistant.
Contrast might also be the issue, try adding more red/pink/whatever-color-that-ball-is-god-I-hate-my-colorblindness-problems to the lighting and the complementary counterpart of it to the shadows

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 02:21:29 am
I think the problem might lie with some slight line-wobbling you got going on, try and refine the lines around the hair to keep things consistant.
Contrast might also be the issue, try adding more red/pink/whatever-color-that-ball-is-god-I-hate-my-colorblindness-problems to the lighting and the complementary counterpart of it to the shadows

I don't have as much a problem with how the outlines look, it's more how the hair looks from a forward view.  It doesn't look proper to me atm. 

I can try making her arm turn pinker and harshening the opposite shade on the other side.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 03:30:18 am
Aye, keep playing with the colors.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: April 25, 2017, 05:43:14 am

I don't think I'm comprehending the complimentary stuff just yet, so I went with white and pink as opposed to skin.

Foward facing head is a lot better now, though, that's for sure.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #70 on: April 25, 2017, 06:11:41 am
Definite improvement. Do you use aseprite? If so, there's an auto-complement setting you can use in the color wheel settings. I've used it a few times now for quicker color choices.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 04:25:45 pm
Definite improvement. Do you use aseprite? If so, there's an auto-complement setting you can use in the color wheel settings. I've used it a few times now for quicker color choices.

I use Game Maker's spriting tools.  Yeah, I know, it's ingrained. 

I looked up the compliment, and saw it was in the area of green, but I can't see myself finding the right way to make that look right.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: May 05, 2017, 01:20:37 am

Based on one of Sol Badguy's animations, though I cut out the sort of wind up in favor of kicking straight to it.  Still a bit simple for me, but we're getting there.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #73 on: May 05, 2017, 01:52:02 am
That windup is called anticipation and is put there for motions to have more weight behind them.

If you're just going for a fast but kind of piffy character then you're probably going to be fine, but by removing that know that you remove the force behind the attack!
One way you could counter that is by having it sort of overcompensate with the thrust forward, like he pushes too far then has to scramble back a bit

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: May 06, 2017, 04:06:40 am

Turns out I accidentally deleted a frame of the wind up when I put them side by side, so that was why it looked off.  This doesn't seem perfect, but definitely has more oomph.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #75 on: May 06, 2017, 05:03:55 am
Yeah, way better haha
good stuff!

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 07:59:47 pm
I think there is something wrong with the anticipation frames. His right arm looks like its the one going to fire, it has to most build up and is in the same direction. When you see those first couple of frames you expect that arm to shoot something. So when you see the rest of the animation you get disoriented, atleast I did.

I think the biggest problem is that the right arm has to much anticipation for what little action it actually does. I tried fixing it in my edit, but im not sure if i accomplished anything since i have been staring at it for so long.

Edit:

You get in the bowl

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 09:11:57 pm
I think there is something wrong with the anticipation frames. His right arm looks like its the one going to fire, it has to most build up and is in the same direction. When you see those first couple of frames you expect that arm to shoot something. So when you see the rest of the animation you get disoriented, atleast I did.

I think the biggest problem is that the right arm has to much anticipation for what little action it actually does. I tried fixing it in my edit, but im not sure if i accomplished anything since i have been staring at it for so long.

Edit:

I can see where the confusion is coming from, but the attack comes from his left arm, and he pivots about 180 degrees, so it ends up on the right.  I tried to make the shading darker, as if it was in the background, but I guess that wasn't clear enough.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #78 on: May 12, 2017, 04:02:53 pm
So I tried looking at your animation again after a while and I saw that the biggest problem is just these 2 frames:

The problem is that his right arm is positioned like it's gonna punch or do something.  Thats where the attention is drawn to. If you look at my previous edit, you see I tried to delete this effect and made his right hand move away already before he attacks.
You get in the bowl