AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241080 times)

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: ELEVEN VIDEOS!

Reply #180 on: December 13, 2006, 11:42:17 pm
Yes - In particular, the incremental application of blur produces different effects than applying only (more or less) what turns out to work well.

Sorry, you've lost me.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #181 on: December 14, 2006, 11:34:07 am
When applying blur to an indexed image, the amount of detail that is lost is necessarily much greater than it would be if the image is RGB, due to quantization. You can see after a few iterations of blur that the edges are excessively rounded, and the overall shapes are by then markedly different than before blurring.

If you have an appropriate palette, you can avoid uncontrolled data loss when colorizing, darkening, or lightening (or several other painting modes provided by PM). unlike blurring.

It's just like recording the sound coming out of your computer speakers as a WAV, then playing that back and making a WAV recording of your speakers playing that WAV back... The amount of meaningful data drops quickly, esp. when there is quantization included in the process.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #182 on: December 14, 2006, 11:37:14 pm
How does that relate to the original question? You mentioned you didn't understand why he was painting over and over leaving no trace. I just said because it's faster than undoing and having to reselect the drawing tool again. (in my opinion of course).

'Over' being the keyword. I'd understand painting all over it, not liking the result, and then undoing it -- but what ptoing did was just do something, do something else that leaves no trace of the previous, do another thing that leaves no trace...

Sorry for spamming this will be my last comment in this thread unless I have something relevant again to say.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #183 on: December 19, 2006, 02:59:27 pm
So Helm, the mock-up made me dump Photoshop and grab Promotion for the auto-tile completions stuff.  And I read the manual and could not find much about that mode.  So I took matters into my own hands, slowed down your video and wrote a page for my personal manual.  I hope nobody minds if I share it, as this is the promotion feature that excited me most.  Please forgive spelling and grammar errors or outright lies.  Also, sorry for no visuals, but Helm's video should provide you with a reference for what is happening, since this is in part a transcript of what he did.

Using Cosmigo Promotion's Auto-Tile Completion Feature

In Promotion's auto-tile completion mode any grid tile that is identical to another when in this mode will be edited simultaneously. This is much like the tile-painting mode but vastly more powerful. If used properly, this will effectively give you a map drawn with a set of tiles instead of one giant image. Finally, using the Tile Map Export plug-in, you can then take this a step further for one-and-done game map development.

*****Some useful shortcuts to know for this*****

Fill brush with single color:
Shift-D

Show/Hide zoom grid:
Alt-G

Turn on/off Auto Tile Complete:
Ctrl-A

*****How to*****

Part 1. Set-up and display your Zoom Grid

Options>>Zoom Grid>>Adjust Zoom Grid...

The bottom two radio buttons should be checked, use the settings for the tile size that you would like best.  Keep in mind your project frame has to be a multiple of the zoom grid size, so make sure you can fit an whole number of tiles in your image.

Select Options>>Zoom Grid>>Show Zoom Grid OR Alt-G

Part 2. Mock in your tiles
Using the Get (animated) brush marquee (The tool that looks like a dotted-line box with scissors. Make a selection that is the full size of one tile.  You will notice it automatically switches you to the Paint Dotted Tool.  You are going to use this full-size brush to mock-in your tile areas.  Select a palette color and press Shift-D to change your brush to that color. 

Now mock in the areas that you want to use the same tile.  Remember, the areas must stay within the constraints of the zoom grid boxes, and must be identical.  When you are done, you may switch colors, Shift-D to apply the color to this brush, and draw what will indicate other tiles. 

When you have roughed in all of your tile areas you can proceed to actually use Auto-Tile Completion.

Part 3.
Press Ctrl-A to turn on auto-tile-completion.  Edit your tiles.  You will notice that tiles that are identical are being edited at the same time.  At anytime you can turn off auto-tile-completion and add more areas, or change individual tiles so that they are no longer the same, doing this will take them out of the tile-group they are currently in when you reenter auto-tile-completion mode.

Part 4.
Export using the free Tile Map Export plug-in.

NOTE: When I was using it I was having trouble using any tool other than the basic brush tool. but working at tile scale it did not seem like an issue.

I hope that helps!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #184 on: December 19, 2006, 03:15:17 pm
Oh I'm sure a lot of people will find that useful. Good job. I had Ptoing who taught me the ways of atcompletition originally but I still benefit from seeing it all in one place. The community thanks you, niceidiot.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #185 on: January 05, 2007, 12:04:31 pm
Hey, just a simple colouring vid of me colouring some lineart. Any comments on my shading technique would be great as I've only really just started trying to learn shading sprite objects more-so than isometric stuff.

Original:

Mine:

Video: (9 mins - 3.59mb) http://rhysd.syntesis.org/robot.avi

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #186 on: January 27, 2007, 04:50:26 pm
Any chance of you guys adding some new videos? I realise they must take some time to make but I have really learnt tons of cool stuff from watching how the masters pixel.

Pretty please :) I especially like your work Helm as I`m sure lots of others here do to. How about having this section as a regular feature?

Jason. 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #187 on: January 27, 2007, 04:56:22 pm
I'm not sure what's left for me to show about my methodology in a video.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #188 on: January 27, 2007, 05:33:43 pm
Anything you do would probably help lots of people. I know it would help me for one. More of the same would be really great. How about some more tile ones, using ProMotions auto tile feature or maybe some five minute pixel sketches? I struggle with how to place my shadows and highlights in my pixel art, a video on that would be most helpful. Maybe you could simply colour some of the small linearts in the other thread and film your progress?

Please don`t feel obliged to make any new videos, the ones you have already done have really been great. I just thought it would be nice to see some more added as it`s something you don`t see much of, pixel video tutorials I mean.

Jason.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #189 on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:51 pm
This would devolve into ego-stroking 'look how nicely I pixel' whereas I'm more interested in showing actual technique which other people can learn from. For one person, I've made enough videos for now. What I'd like to see is more videos by people who haven't already exhausted their own methodology, like pkmays or snake or panda or or or