AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241047 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #150 on: November 28, 2006, 10:57:24 am
Thanks, guys.

Totally, Pkmays. I want to go back and change almost all the ground tiles, add slopes to the level and whatnot, but now it's a done video, and that's that. I had to be fast and relatively precise, and I sorta failed. A presentation of a prototype (imagine me going "...it's going to play like a cross of shadow of the beast wilderness exploring and prince of persia gymnastics!" to my employers) is what this is, you are correct. And everybody's shouting at me for not snapping my tiles to grid when I move them around! Oh well.

Looking forward to your video.

Ai: it's not just how fast you are, but what you do with your fastness. I'm pretty damn fast (as my girlfriend would complain to you) but the end result must'nt look like some sort of oekaki madness wippy mess. I don't think that helps anyone. That being said, go right ahead and make a video, I'm interested in seeing your setup in action and everything.

Blick: why so slow? Is it a matter of motivation?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #151 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:12 pm
sometimes he started adding details in the tiles before he even changed the tile color from the bright, menacing red.

actually, you can also see he places aa pixels as black, and then adjusts the color to its quite light final color. The color you chuck down doesn't matter much when you can change it quick-smart, it just has to have sufficient definition to distinguish it initially.

I've investigated codecs; It doesn't look like Techsmith is available (Only decoding is supported by ffmpeg) ; JPEG-LS, which  strangely and ironically supports losslessness, is available, so I'll try that.  I have a few things to do which should make good test cases.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #152 on: November 28, 2006, 11:02:10 pm
Blick: why so slow? Is it a matter of motivation?
Indeed. Not necessarily having a reason or deadline to make tiles and animations other than practice, mixed with my hatred for making them because I'm so horrible at it from lack of practice doesn't make for a good combination.

I will admit though, if I had Pro Motion, tiles would be easier. Perhaps animation too. The palette system looks convenient, but it'd take me a while to get used to. I'm stuck on manually going in and right clicking with the eraser tool to change an existing color and using the eyedropper rather than a indexed palette. Maybe if I get enough saved up from Christmas money, I might get Pro Motion.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: NINE VIDEOS!

Reply #153 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:56 pm
Can't view on a mac...as the codec doesn't exsit for os x :(

download the codec for mac.  works perfect for me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #154 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:46 pm
YES. KILL THE MSPAINT GENE INSIDE YOU. GET PRO MOTION. ALL WILL BE BETTER SOON

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #155 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:23 pm
Thanks for that last video Helm, I've always wanted to see how Promotion does tiling/mockups.
The updating multiple tiles at once feature looks handy. Not to sure about drawing a background merged into the tiles (foreground). Seems a bit cumbersome especially if changes are going to be made to either. Is there no way around this?

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #156 on: November 28, 2006, 11:41:21 pm
ProMo isn't made for layer work. Next version will however, support layers.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #157 on: November 29, 2006, 12:30:19 am
There is a way around it. By abusing the onion skinning, you can just set the layers so that you have a transparency colour and each layer is 100% visible. this way you can set up as many layers as you want, but they are not as dynamic as normal layers and not really seperate. all it does is that it shows the frame underneath or above, whatever distance you want. ace for animation and i abuse it a lot for other things.

and yeh 6 will have layers.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #158 on: November 29, 2006, 01:29:42 am
maybe a totally cheeky question but, would you mind if I show some of these vids on another forum (question to everyone) some people just can't think outside Ms Paint, and most of these are perfect examples of why paint just slows you down.. also I know someone who wants to know how to go about making a platformer (mockup atleast) and Helm you've just summed all that up into 23 minutes and 30 seconds of video. its all self explanitory..  ;)

Also am I free to post a vid of my own, I got the software, just feelin reluctant to post anything..  :(
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #159 on: November 29, 2006, 03:10:18 am
I doubt anyone would have a problem with you linking to the thread. Just don't hot link a file if it looks like it's being hosted on someone's personal website. Direct linking to Rapidshare or MegaUpload probably wouldn't be an issue.

Any yeah, anyone and everyone can post a video. Odds are at least one person will learn something, and watching yourself and your work habits is useful in finding ways to improve your workflow.