AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241059 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: NINE VIDEOS!

Reply #140 on: November 27, 2006, 04:39:12 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/pixelvids/mockup.avi

Not very happy with it. At least I learned. 1:35 hours, 4x speed, down to 25 minutes or so again. I dislike the rubble tile a lot. I like the tree.

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #141 on: November 27, 2006, 05:33:58 pm

Not very happy with it. At least I learned. 1:35 hours, 4x speed, down to 25 minutes or so again. I dislike the rubble tile a lot. I like the tree.

you should be happy, that tree is deffo the best part  :)

wow, i watched a few mins of it and learnt alot about pmotion watching rest now  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:52:42 pm by Jamie »

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #142 on: November 27, 2006, 06:06:58 pm
Helm: Thanks for showing how awesome the tiling feature in pro motion is, I am going to buy the full (non-lite) version for sure now.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #143 on: November 27, 2006, 06:14:49 pm
Man, cosmigo should be cutting me checks!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #144 on: November 27, 2006, 06:16:31 pm
Me too!!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #145 on: November 27, 2006, 09:15:08 pm
wonderful video helm, its amazing that you do this all in one sitting. i might make a video some time, of course i would be using paint and we know how everybody LOVES paint.

also, the way you pixel when you do tile work is, very, very, unorthodox. you go from generic to detail sometimes, detail to generic the other.  doing stylistic stuff before even getting the forms all the way down. either way it still comes out great.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:58:11 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #146 on: November 27, 2006, 11:18:36 pm

Pretty nice demo (more interesting to me than your other movie, too). Looking at the time you spend copy+pasting tiles, perhaps ProMotion would benefit from the ability to cycle the brush through the unique tiles in the image.
I should definitely make a video now... I found myself thinking 'wow, he's fast' and I still think you are.. just not as extremely as I initially thought (on recent pixels, my speed has been reasonably comparable. I think that making a video would give me some perspective on my exact speed.)

Quote from: Ryumaru
the way you pixel when you do tile work is, very, very, unorthodox. you go from generic to detail sometimes, detail to generic the other.  doing stylistic stuff before even getting the forms all the way down. either way it still comes out great.
In my experience, that is exactly what's useful for creating a small tileset, because of often needing a tile to match multiple other tiles on a given border. It makes composition strange.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #147 on: November 27, 2006, 11:36:51 pm
sometimes he started adding details in the tiles before he even changed the tile color from the bright, menacing red.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #148 on: November 28, 2006, 01:29:36 am
Looks good Helm. The problem with recording videos is that they need to be done quickly, so they tend to be missing the TLC that goes into a production piece. Plus any piece will usually get worked on even after it's "finished." All in all that's an excellent example of rapid prototyping a mockup. Not sure if that's the best way to say it, but it sounds cool.

Alright, I've decided I'm going to make a similar recording using tiles. It'll be a top down RPG style view of some grass, with some dirt patches/other random things thrown in to keep it from looking too monotonous. Going to do a couple of test runs so I don't embarrass myself too much.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #149 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:37 am
Jesus Christ, Helm, a little over an hour for a mockup is ridiculous. I feel so inferior. It takes me days just to muster up the courage to try my hand at a single tile.