AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241049 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: NINE VIDEOS!

Reply #120 on: November 27, 2006, 11:18:36 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/pixelvids/mockup.avi

Not very happy with it. At least I learned. 1:35 hours, 4x speed, down to 25 minutes or so again. I dislike the rubble tile a lot. I like the tree.
Pretty nice demo (more interesting to me than your other movie, too). Looking at the time you spend copy+pasting tiles, perhaps ProMotion would benefit from the ability to cycle the brush through the unique tiles in the image.
I should definitely make a video now... I found myself thinking 'wow, he's fast' and I still think you are.. just not as extremely as I initially thought (on recent pixels, my speed has been reasonably comparable. I think that making a video would give me some perspective on my exact speed.)

Quote from: Ryumaru
the way you pixel when you do tile work is, very, very, unorthodox. you go from generic to detail sometimes, detail to generic the other.  doing stylistic stuff before even getting the forms all the way down. either way it still comes out great.
In my experience, that is exactly what's useful for creating a small tileset, because of often needing a tile to match multiple other tiles on a given border. It makes composition strange.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #121 on: November 27, 2006, 11:36:51 pm
sometimes he started adding details in the tiles before he even changed the tile color from the bright, menacing red.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #122 on: November 28, 2006, 01:29:36 am
Looks good Helm. The problem with recording videos is that they need to be done quickly, so they tend to be missing the TLC that goes into a production piece. Plus any piece will usually get worked on even after it's "finished." All in all that's an excellent example of rapid prototyping a mockup. Not sure if that's the best way to say it, but it sounds cool.

Alright, I've decided I'm going to make a similar recording using tiles. It'll be a top down RPG style view of some grass, with some dirt patches/other random things thrown in to keep it from looking too monotonous. Going to do a couple of test runs so I don't embarrass myself too much.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #123 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:37 am
Jesus Christ, Helm, a little over an hour for a mockup is ridiculous. I feel so inferior. It takes me days just to muster up the courage to try my hand at a single tile.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #124 on: November 28, 2006, 10:57:24 am
Thanks, guys.

Totally, Pkmays. I want to go back and change almost all the ground tiles, add slopes to the level and whatnot, but now it's a done video, and that's that. I had to be fast and relatively precise, and I sorta failed. A presentation of a prototype (imagine me going "...it's going to play like a cross of shadow of the beast wilderness exploring and prince of persia gymnastics!" to my employers) is what this is, you are correct. And everybody's shouting at me for not snapping my tiles to grid when I move them around! Oh well.

Looking forward to your video.

Ai: it's not just how fast you are, but what you do with your fastness. I'm pretty damn fast (as my girlfriend would complain to you) but the end result must'nt look like some sort of oekaki madness wippy mess. I don't think that helps anyone. That being said, go right ahead and make a video, I'm interested in seeing your setup in action and everything.

Blick: why so slow? Is it a matter of motivation?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:12 pm
sometimes he started adding details in the tiles before he even changed the tile color from the bright, menacing red.

actually, you can also see he places aa pixels as black, and then adjusts the color to its quite light final color. The color you chuck down doesn't matter much when you can change it quick-smart, it just has to have sufficient definition to distinguish it initially.

I've investigated codecs; It doesn't look like Techsmith is available (Only decoding is supported by ffmpeg) ; JPEG-LS, which  strangely and ironically supports losslessness, is available, so I'll try that.  I have a few things to do which should make good test cases.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #126 on: November 28, 2006, 11:02:10 pm
Blick: why so slow? Is it a matter of motivation?
Indeed. Not necessarily having a reason or deadline to make tiles and animations other than practice, mixed with my hatred for making them because I'm so horrible at it from lack of practice doesn't make for a good combination.

I will admit though, if I had Pro Motion, tiles would be easier. Perhaps animation too. The palette system looks convenient, but it'd take me a while to get used to. I'm stuck on manually going in and right clicking with the eraser tool to change an existing color and using the eyedropper rather than a indexed palette. Maybe if I get enough saved up from Christmas money, I might get Pro Motion.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: NINE VIDEOS!

Reply #127 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:56 pm
Can't view on a mac...as the codec doesn't exsit for os x :(

download the codec for mac.  works perfect for me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #128 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:46 pm
YES. KILL THE MSPAINT GENE INSIDE YOU. GET PRO MOTION. ALL WILL BE BETTER SOON

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #129 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:23 pm
Thanks for that last video Helm, I've always wanted to see how Promotion does tiling/mockups.
The updating multiple tiles at once feature looks handy. Not to sure about drawing a background merged into the tiles (foreground). Seems a bit cumbersome especially if changes are going to be made to either. Is there no way around this?

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins