AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241048 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TWO VIDEOS!

Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 07:52:18 am
On Linux, while VLC usually works well, I had to use MPlayer (and ffmpeg needed to be installed, too -- it provides the needed codec.)

Helm:
You're not as frighteningly fast as I thought. I was somewhat surprised by your starting at a middle shade. I can see why you didn't use any brush but 1pixel; They go together. Using a larger brush can speed things up, but mainly if you draw from the darkest shade.
Your frequent color adjustments led me to an idea , and, initially misunderstanding Conceit's idea of what you were doing  led me to create a plugin which provides realtime color adjustments using only the keyboard, no dialog. Your adjustment speed was fairly impressive, but I think this system will tend to be faster and more usable.
The way it works is, you pick up the color that you want to change, then you use:

1 2 3

to change the HSL values of that color.
It moves by 10% of the entire scale by default. so.. 1 to increase hue 10%, shift+1 to decrease hue 10%, ctrl+1 to increase hue 1%, ctrl+shift+1 to decrease hue 1%..

My first comprehensive test of the idea, showing the progression of color changing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/tech/pop-bendy-anim.gif (non pixel art- sort of)

and later, after I became more used to it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/tech/wuff-x-coloradjust-anim.gif

The obvious 'gap' in functionality is that it doesn't allow adjustment of whole ranges. I don't intend to address that yet, since I just invented, implemented, and tested this scheme in the last few hours :)

Conceit:
color selection via keyboard is a great help to speed drawing; the more colors and shades involved, the more it is an advantage -- but it is even an advantage with as little as 4 colors.

I'll consider making a video myself, if I can figure out what programs I should be using.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TWO VIDEOS!

Reply #41 on: October 19, 2006, 11:26:01 am
Ok, here's a really crappy attempt. I messed up a lot of things, like the weird angle on the wings and did a couple of mistakes I normally don't do, I'm just too nervous when recording :D

http://omr.planet-d.net/trash/dassault.avi
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: THREE VIDEOS!

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 12:17:06 am
Pro Motion's symmetry tool can beast out something like that in literally half the time it takes with Photoshop. All I could think of while watching the video was how much quicker it could be done using the right tool.

[edit]

Yeah, I'm a dick, but I'll prove it.

*fires up Pro Motion*
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:04:26 am by pkmays »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOUR VIDEOS!

Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 03:40:31 am
Dawnrazor video here

Tero was awesome enough to re-format this for me at a dazzling 22 megs, and I thank him muchly for it. It's a c64 pic, and i'm chatting with ptoing all the while, not really eventful, but maybe interesting to some. There you go. Post more videos!

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: October 24, 2006, 04:30:19 am
gosh... you make it look so easy...
of course, it does look like you have a better program than mspaint >_>

it takes me forever to do simple crap like this

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:35 am
wow helm, i watched and payed attention to all 26 minutes and 43 seconds of that movie.
you must have the latest timanthes program, because i dont think mine has the dither brush things and that tool that i think made it so you can paint "under" colors.

edit: actually, silly me hasnt even looked at all the tools on the tool bar apparently.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:00:49 am by Ryumaru »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: October 24, 2006, 04:59:24 pm
I like your pink Winamp skin. *giggles*

I'd be interested to know how Tero was able to shrink the AVI further. I get a good size-to-smoothness ratio in my tests by putting the quality slider in the middle, but if there's some other way to crush the file I'd like to know.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:08:50 pm by pkmays »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #47 on: October 24, 2006, 05:19:49 pm
Don't kill quality. Anything but quality. Run it at double-speed, 15 frames per second. I'll alert Tero to post on this thread with further video-editing wizardry skillz, as it seems he's had extensive knowledge on this stuff. He made a 50 meg file into 22 megs, so there's lots to learn there.

Looking forward to your video.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2006, 07:31:02 pm
Yeah, don't kill quality. You can do that afterwards more efficiently by compressing it badly :P

There's no special tricks to compressing movies. Just open them in some video editing program (I used Adobe After Effects), choose framerate, video size, lenght etc. Then adjust codec (in this case Techsmith).

It all comes down to adjusting codec. First of all, choosing a right codec makes a difference to the filesize/quality. But the form "more compression = smaller file" usually apply.

In this particular case, I adjusted also compression quality. The higher quality, the longer it takes to "render" the video again with new compression settings (it's because the computer tries to compress the image with minimum loss in quality, so it takes time to calculate). Just play around with those codec settings and see the results. Find the best setting for your needs.
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: October 25, 2006, 07:38:10 am
That last video had a problem none of the other had, though...when fast forward it, images overlap, disapearing a while after I put it on normal speed.

Didn't find this last video that interesting, though your first, Helm, showed a really nice progress :y: I'm amazed by how you change colours...so fucking beautiful...but I found that I can do that on Photoshop as well :P