AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241102 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!

Reply #230 on: May 11, 2008, 03:35:34 pm
True, but it is handy if your computer cannot handle a proper video recorder (like mine). You can always create several parts too, for each time you have used up your full 128 undo levels.

Jason.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #231 on: May 11, 2008, 03:56:56 pm
True. Though I think that a full capture where you can see the options and other stuff are better because you see more of the actual workflow and not just a magically growing picture.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #232 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:35 am
I've just recently got a setup where I can record reasonably. Recording overhead still makes my movements a little like flying through molassess. Don't have anything interesting yet, just a video of me doing some minor touchups on a pixel-art logo -- honestly the most interesting part is at the beginning where you can see the terminal window recordmydesktop is running in and it says "Your window manager appears to be awesome." :)

Still, I've got to recommend recording yourself, if only to see where you waste the most time. In my case I spend a lot of time zooming in and out when I should arrange a preview window instead. Even if you don't think your results are worth posting here, it's still worth doing it and reviewing the footage :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:17:01 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #233 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:49 am
i grabbed camtasia, the Timanthes codec, and Sony Vegas 7. i probably overdid the edition a bit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHZtYpxUEM

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #234 on: March 23, 2009, 03:01:34 pm
You need to spend more time with construction and perfecting your pixel clusters. The amount of revision you do for a sprite means there wasn't any forethought put into it. Perhaps in next editions the amount of pixel tech will be useful for someone watching, but for now that was pretty tortuous for me to see you try to fit that arm in, this arm in that leg in until something stuck. It's not a very good artistic practise to improvise what appears to be game art is what I am saying.

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #235 on: March 23, 2009, 06:21:35 pm
i see what you mean. the main problem with me is that i usually don't plan what i'm going to do actually, as most of the time i jump into the canvas and start developing the concept as i draw it(to be honest i remember only one or two times where i actually made some sketches and planned carefully what i was going to do). still is not suposed to be finished, and i have yet to color it. and during that process, most of what was sketched is going to be removed or changed.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #236 on: March 23, 2009, 09:35:32 pm
That whole process is not one that should be encouraged is my point.

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #237 on: March 23, 2009, 09:45:24 pm
you mean, i shouldn't display it In public, or at least make it clear that others shouldn't take it as a good way to develop your work?(in terms of putting a warning in the video itself)

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #238 on: March 23, 2009, 09:55:06 pm
There is nothing wrong with playing it by ear. Nor is there any harm planning out beforehand. They are different means to the same end. Sometimes digging in and figuring things out as you go leads to happy accidents.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #239 on: March 23, 2009, 10:30:31 pm
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but all "good" artists plan things out, just more or less formally. Experience with planning things out a bazillion times eventually gets in your head, it might seem people skip some "basic steps" but don't they just do it unconciously?

So if it's a tutorial video, then that sounds like a really bad idea to me. Edit: Checked the video, and the description says clearly that it's not a tutorial, just a video on how you do what you do.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:33:02 pm by Colonel Mustard »