AuthorTopic: Jumping animation  (Read 4707 times)

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Jumping animation

on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:58 pm
Hello again.

This time I'm trying to make an acceptable jumping animation. This is the first time I'm trying the coloured blob method. I'll be working on consistency between frames first, as well as switching some of the leg movement around.
In-game the animation is dependent on velocity, but it's more or less continuous so far.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Jumping animation

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:16:42 am
First thing I notice is that the arms are too short
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Gragh

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:30 am
Some clarification is needed.  What type of jump is this suppose to be?   If you're launching from a rest position, the knees should bend more in the beginning.  This looks more like the 2nd half of a jump,  when you're already falling.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:46:00 pm

I haven't fixed all of the problems I've found in the first version (the inconsistent torso volume being the most obvious). The arms are more than just a rough indication of movement now. I've switched the leg movement partially (only the last frame, the rest will likely need editing) and fixed some inconsistencies with the torso.

Clarification:

For reference, this is what the character is meant to look like eventually. I haven't measured arm length between this and the animation yet. The tail may or may not get a looping animation during descent when I add it.

As for the animation itself: The first frame is for ascending, and the fifth for descending. The rest are for a transition at the top of the jump. I don't really want to have any anticipation frames to maintain the pace of the game this is to appear in, so jumps go into the first frame directly from running/standing.

... If you're launching from a rest position, the knees should bend more in the beginning.  ...

I'm not entirely sure if you meant that the first frame is anticipation/still on the ground? I realize that having the knee(s) bent after take-off makes little sense. I somewhat like the legs switching poses I have right now though. I'm not sure how well it would look with both legs straight. I'll have to try some alternative versions for that.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 11:47:09 pm

I've added the head and tail. The head for now is copied and rotated directly from the standing sprite, and I feel like the whole thing isn't proportioned correctly in regard to the standing sprite.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:35:05 pm
Oh hey I looked at this thing again  ;D

Smoothed the head out a bit.
I think I'll start colouring this in next, unless anyone finds a thing.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:14 pm
Arms still short, and I'd add a bit of wobble to it for the falling-down to loop through for longer falls. Simulate wind resistance, that kinda thing!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:23 pm
Arms still short, and I'd add a bit of wobble to it for the falling-down to loop through for longer falls. Simulate wind resistance, that kinda thing!

Like so?

I've also made the tail a bit longer. Does the curl it makes look alright?

I did make the arms longer, but do mind that I try to bring the right arm into the front at an angle, so it looks short since there's no foreshortening.

EDIT:

I've started colouring and figured maybe any of you'd like to see. Adding the outlines I've changed the tail and back arm (and probably some other things). Some things still need to be fixed (front arm mostly)

The cyan leg is because the blue I used before is a colour of the character itself.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:50:59 am by BatElite »

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 11:48:06 pm
Hey I did a small edit on the way the tail flicks up, the curl to me seemed a bit off.

I also moved it a frame forward, to split up the motion, as the whole transition to fall was happening together which also looked a bit off!