AuthorTopic: Isometric character walk cycle beginning  (Read 3558 times)

Offline 8loop8

• View Profile

Isometric character walk cycle beginning

on: August 30, 2016, 08:32:55 pm

This is an isometric character I drew for a game I'm messing around with. Next step is to animate walking. I have some experience with drawing, but I've never animated before. My question is how to start making a walk animation cycle that starts from the pose above? Any resources that you know that I could use? (couldn't find any isometric keyframe references)

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Re: Isometric character walk cycle beginning

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:23:19 am
This is probably one of the best out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y6aVz0Acx0
Good luck!

Offline therealdries

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:54:29 pm
This is stunning... have you created any additional iso charcter work like this?

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:37:18 am
You can apply everything from side view, except you have to translate depth according to your isometric projection. What helps me in this case is think of having a light above the character and imagine where the shadow of the foot will be on the ground. Then, draw a line up from the shadow by the amount it would be off the floor in side view. You can apply this for any joint on the body (knee etc) to figure out where it needs to appear in this projection.

Another way to do this translation is to place side-view keyframes directly into your scene (copy-paste), and then use skew transform to place it in side view in isometric. Imagine this is a slice going down the middle of the character. Then, instead of going floor up, you extrude joints left and right from this middle slice, following isometric projection (so the lines will go diagonally down-right, and up-left). You need to do this for all joints that are not in the middle plane (hips, knees, foot, shoulder, arm). Spine and head joints remain in the center. Do this for all the frames of animation (just drawing lines between joints) and you should have a proper skeleton base in isometric.