AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Suggestion Thread  (Read 73173 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Suggestion Thread

Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 05:48:35 am
personally...
id be up
'kirby and the amazing mirror'

i really enjoy the backgrounds - and the tile style i find intrigging at points awell
the sprites are full of character and emotion..

i know that perhaps we are looking at a game with poorer graphics to point out whats wrong - reason for shadow beast?? i believe
but honestly - whenever i analyze game art i always try to find the best examples - so that i can learn better techniques and do breakdowns to understand methods and reasoning behind things..
if it looks good, id rather try to find out why it does and how it was made to look good

some screens
http://kirby.classicgaming.gamespy.com/multimedia/pictures/mirror/

thats my pick...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 05:57:19 am
If I can throw a vote down, not sure if its been done before, but the original Lemmings game has always been one of my favorites!

http://opcg.net/gry/Lll/lemmings/screeny/screen_nr_2_duzy/screen_nr_2_duzy.jpg
http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/arctic/animals/lemming01.jpg

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 07:48:19 am
Looks like SoB will win...however, even though I support Helm's opinion's most of the times, I think I'll go for Dodonpachi. If that's how you spell it.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 11:09:09 am
Looks like SoB will win...however, even though I support Helm's opinion's most of the times, I think I'll go for Dodonpachi. If that's how you spell it.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 11:57:18 am
Never got the whole 'Dodonpachi is great' thing.  Always found it to have incredibly mediocre gameplay and mostly bland (in my opinion) artwork.  Boring.

Shadow of the Beast on the other hand, despite not being that much fun to play and at times showing some badly dated pixelling has always captivated me with it's sort of dark fantasy otherworldly atmosphere (which is also greatly helped by the sound effects and music) and was a big influence on me at school.  I haven't had the same sorta feeling from any 3D title I've ever played.  An associate of mine showed a screenshot from his 'Beast Reborn' remake project a while back and he's a decent pixeller too.  Ain't heard from him in a while though and I can't find the pic on my PC.  Oh yeah and it's actually an influence on one of my current projects too (which I ain't shown anyone yet cept for some basic engine stuff... and won't show until I've got the atmosphere and graphic style the way I want it)

The animated intro to Shadow of the Beast 2 is still one of the creepiest things I've seen in a game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:14:37 pm by Wolverine »
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:58 pm
if beast wins, could people please 'aquire' it for study purposes and just stroll around in the first forest? It's important to understand the art, to see how it functions in-game. A lot that seems 'broken' as far as pixel-art goes actually goes to very good use. There's wonderful parallax and music and stuff! The atmosphere can't be beat! Do yourselves a favour :)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:41 pm
It is horrendous quality, but: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KHU2guYH7Og?

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 02:43:59 pm
I used to have Beast on my a500 :( fortunately I've played it so much I have the first forest committed to memory.

Quote from: AdamAtomic
If I can throw a vote down, not sure if its been done before, but the original Lemmings game has always been one of my favorites!

Were you reminded of Lemmings because it features a level with Beast artwork/music? I know I was :p I decided I'd save my vote for Lemmings for next month, though, when it has a better chance of winning.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 03:13:02 pm
I'll go with Dodonpachi.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 03:20:07 pm
Were you reminded of Lemmings because it features a level with Beast artwork/music?

There was a lot of that.  I seem to recall Walker appearing in one of the Lemmings games too (most likely Lemmings 2 The Tribes but I could be totally wrong about it all.. I know Menace was referenced for sure in one game).  And the Lemmings themselves appeared as much larger sprites in one of my all time favorite games Hired Guns as vicious scratchy gits that you could just mow down with a chain gun sorta thing or chuck grenades down into the Lemming pit.  Also remember that Hired Guns game allowed you to pixel your own characters and use them.  There would be me spending ages creating some cool mech type thing to go with CIM and CIM-Lite in the required four directions and sizes... and then my friend would just use a blank page therefore rendering him totally invisible to all... cheating bastard.  Especially since we used to use two screens (monitor in the usual socket, and the TV into the built in modulator of the A1200) and cover opposite halfs on each with cardboard.  I could never tell where he was until a saw a grenade appear in the air out of nowhere and bang I'm dead...

Hmm, sorry bout that... was getting swept down memory lane a bit.  Glorious Amiga days...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:07:07 pm by Wolverine »
keep on moving, lil dude...