AuthorTopic: [WIP] Several characters in style, similar to JINNdev and AbyssWolf  (Read 2580 times)

Offline lenich

• View Profile
Guys, I'm kinda newbie. What exactly I doing wrong? May I get some tips?

I barely understand how colors, neutralizers and palletes works. Generally I understand
intuitively but don't know how to manage and use it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:21:46 pm by lenich »
Sorry for my english.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] Some chibi girl

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:50:25 am
i'm not very studied on color theory beyond that description you gave of just feeling it out till it looks good.
i can say that the leg that's crossed over the other looks a bit off, as does the shape of her head. it looks like you were going for a slight tilt but unfortunately the jaw didn't really tilt with the rest, i think.
the leg also looks a bit shorter than the other due to the awkward position and bend, and it melds into a visual blob due to the colors on those leggings being a slight bit too close to each other to pick out as individual parts.
to fix this i would completely scrap the leggings and start anew after tweaking the leg some. for the face issue you MAY only need to shrink the shading on her cheek some so her jawline isn't so defined, and maybe try to reduce the banding on the hair and hairline.

for shading the leggings, your big mistake seems to have been trying to render a reflection of the foreground leg in the shading, when you should have kept leg shading contiguous. I've fallen into that trap many many times, sometimes it works but more often it confuses the eye.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:15 am
Hello Lenich,

Don't get too confused about stuff like "neutralizers" which work for a very particular painting / palette style, but aren't really used in the style you are going for.

If you want to do an anime inspired style focus first on visual clarity.
Focus on strong vivid colors.
Focus on minimal shading (highlight, light, shadow, outline).
Focus on proportions.
Focus on making shapes appear 3dimensionally on the canvas.

What you need to consider is how each part contrasts with each other and as a whole.
You need to be really clear with the positioning of each bodypart (e.g. hands, feet, head) - your posing has some weaknesses as Mystery Meat already pointed out - it doesn't help to hide h ands and feet. If you aren't comfortable with drawing them, draw a lot of em to overcome this issue.

I'd say despite chibis have big eyes, your eyes are considerably too big. Also the eyes get bigger and more simplified the smaller the bodys gets and your style has a quite detailled body, so you want to use rather smaller eyes anyways.

And you also need to consider the overall color scheme.
Red and Purple traditionally don't go together really well. Both are rather warm and they are to close together in the color circle to provide a good contrast.
Here you could use gray as a color to bring out the part which matters for the character and where you want the viewer to look at after the first glance - the face.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline lenich

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:41 pm
Omg! That's edit. It's useful! Thank you!

the style you are going for.
I'm not really sure what style I'm going for. I took syosa's pallete and was choosing colors that I need, kinda for compatibility.

and about style… I was inspired by this picture by Gashi-Gashi:

Here you could use gray as a color to bring out the part which matters for the character and where you want the viewer to look at after the first glance - the face.
There's a problem. Picture based on real person and there's some colors I needed. But I wanted firstly make pallete
kinda strict. Maybe I should add more colors, but I thought it will looks better if I try to use small amount.

http://i.imgur.com/XLPvdn9.jpg ← link to the photo

I'm not even sure if character is recognizable…

If talks about style, I very like JINNdev, AbyssWolf and Kaiseto

And here I'm not sure if this styles are “anime inspired” or that simplyfied :D
I rather want to learn create something like this examples.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:01:08 pm by lenich »
Sorry for my english.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:26 pm
the only one of those really anime styled is the dino girl. the rick and morty/adventure time examples seem to be closer to detail-upped stylizations than anything, if anything i'd be comparing them to caricature drawings.

definitely study that gashi piece though, look at  how they tilt the head and move the legs.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline lenich

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:20:27 pm
Actually I want to draw six characters. It's a music band from Russia, playing Japanese songs and covers. That girl is one of them.

I tried to draw another one:

Using some JINNdev colors ripped from “Rick and Morty” pic and Syosa's pallete.

http://imgur.com/JcaSANo ← and there's kinda reference pic for him and others .

May I get some tips again, please?  :)
Like… what in general I'm doing totally wrong, in process of drawing and choosing colors?

And to clarify: I'm not restricted in color count, I have only one week to draw satisfying picture and I'm not sure I can polish every character too long.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:25:09 pm by lenich »
Sorry for my english.