AuthorTopic: [C+C] Moontains  (Read 5957 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Moontains

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 05:19:22 am
Of all the great art in the world you think the art thieves have a particular desire for beginner pixel art?
You would honestly be surprised what children on the internet will steal and claim to be their own work.
Regardless, it's not really something you should be too worried over. At worst someone's going to try to monetize it, which means you have all the reason in the world to sue them for a litany of reasons.
It can suck sometimes having people gank your work and claim it as their own, but they usually don't hold up the facade very well outside of wherever they're posting it and it ESPECIALLY isn't going to get them any real gains when people realize they're falsifying info and trying to sell things that aren't theirs.
Try not to let the vague possibility of someone doing a sketchy thing make you shoot yourself in the foot during the learning process, it's not something that will really affect you in the long run and should be treated like a splinter at most: Mildly irritating, but not a huge issue.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 10:49:09 am
Well, I think that I'll stop selling it. I'll post the new version without gradient when I'm done with it.

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 06:51:38 pm
Hi, I made an edit for you that touches down a bit on what Mathias said which I think is one of the main problems going on here "More importantly though, the image doesn't seem to have any purpose or focus. All I really seem to be looking at is a moon."

(edit of Dennis' edit )

I realise my edit pretty much makes this a whole other piece, but I hope this can at least show you that there are a ton of different ways you can spice things up.

IMO you should try to think of your composition as telling a story. Right now your pic has nothing interesting going for it, it's just a bunch of rocks sprawled out in different directions which leads to a very random feeling- with the moon being crowded by all these different elements which doesn't help either. Think of it as if you're framing what you want the viewer to see.

That's just my two cents, kutgw
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:04:07 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 09:09:44 pm

I did an edit today, I guess you didn't see it. Your edit is amazing, but I think that's not what I searched for the picture. There's a lot of ways to do it, but I'm not really interested in that one.
My composition is literally telling a story; "The soldier abandoned his army and is living his life on the mountains, but when he camped he encountered a bone dragon. He turned off the fire and hid behind the pillar.".
I know I've got a lot of things to improve; please tell me how should I do it. Maybe I should add clouds to add more details?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:55 pm
i didn't even see the soldier, he kind of blends into the rocks. also, not sure how he is seeing that skellington rthroug that big outcropping in the middle of the pic.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:49 am

My composition is literally telling a story; "The soldier abandoned his army and is living his life on the mountains, but when he camped he encountered a bone dragon. He turned off the fire and hid behind the pillar.".
I know I've got a lot of things to improve; please tell me how should I do it. Maybe I should add clouds to add more details?
Is it really telling that story in all that detail? What makes the viewer know that he's a soldier? What makes the viewer know he deserted his comrades? How can we tell he is living his life in the mountains? All the viewer sees is mostly that bone creature, the moon and some rock-ish structures. The soldier is barely noticeable.

Adding more details would distract further from the story you want to tell now.

suggestions:
take your time to look and analyze skittlefuck's version, look at the perspective, look at the color scheme, be inspired by the composition and shading and see how it creates depth and atmosphere

for your particular story, you could use a similar composition like that but add a pillar very close to the viewer, make the soldier hide behind that pillar in the front so that "we are there" with the soldier in this moment of his life, perhaps add an expression of fear on his face/body language, the campfire could be subdued in a corner, bone creature should be aligned on the horizon with the soldiers head also on the same horizontal line, make the rock formations so that they guide the viewers eyes through the image, entering near the soldier, over his face, to the bone thing, use detail on important parts, the main actors in the scene, less detail in the unimportant areas which don't add to the story you're trying to tell

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 08:31:26 am
P.S.: I see potential in your stuff, it is clearly creative. I think from here on it's just a lack of visual crafting skills that you need to overcome and to develop a vision for applying those skills then to tell the stories you have in mind. Currently it's all still sloppy and unrefined, so just keep creating lots of stuff and work on the crafting skills and you'll improve very rapidly.

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 11:15:30 am
Thank you both. I'll do my best on the next edit.
Edit: After thinking it, I think that this image is not good enough to adapt to these suggestions. I'll bring you a new one in a while with a new story, as I've learnt many new things that I didn't know while doing this. Thank you guys so much.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:04:20 pm by zoekmath »