AuthorTopic: Drawing a pixel spruce  (Read 3591 times)

Offline BadBorsch

• View Profile

Drawing a pixel spruce

on: April 30, 2016, 02:31:06 am
Hello everybody. I am a junior game developer, and i also cpmpletely noob in drawing. I trying to build a pixel spruces for my game, but i have troubles with shading, and i don't know how to draw it better. If you give me an advice, I would be very thankful to you.
Sorry for my bad English ^_^
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:53:35 am by BadBorsch »

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Re: Drawing a pixel spruce

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:53:15 am
Welcome!  :)
I suggest reading http://pixelation.org/pixelation/index.php?topic=4265.msg53086#msg53086
Use direct link to your images. I'd suggest using imgur.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline BadBorsch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:57:08 am
Thanks a lot!

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:13:07 am
Moved to the appropriate section. Make sure to read the rules. Welcome to Pixelation! :)
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:02 am
I think that it would benefit from more contrasting colors.  Also, are you working from a reference?  Most spruces have a rougher silhouette.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:47 am
Here's a few things to think about.

What's the mood and color of your scene? Movies for example, often use teal and orange palettes nowadays. The advantage of palettes is that it forces the look to be consistent. If you have trouble coming up with a palette, you can grab a photo or a few stills from a movie, then index those and try to make something with the resulting palette.

What is the background and light situation? Simplified silhouettes work fine, if that's the expected light because we see it elsewhere in the scene. Dusk colors also work fine if expected. If it's a sunny day with light coming from top-front-left, some more contrast is definitely needed.

If you search for spruce images, take your time. Look at 100-200. What do they have in common? What is the essence of the ones which appeal to you? Some are very noisy without much structure. Others have lumped up branches and deep shadows in-between. They come in different colors, too. Branches can sag, or point up, etc. Decide on one variant and draw several sizes of it.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:17 am
I want to emphasize Arne's point on contrast.

You might want to consider the fact that you cannot see most of your colors on certain monitors unless you are WAY zoomed in due to the darkness of the colors and how near they are to each other in terms of absolute brightness (this is the contrast-thing Arne mentioned!) so this lack of contrast not only makes your art very dull to look at (even if the construction of your tree and your chosen colors were spot on!), it also makes it painful to look at too because one has to squint and zoom just to see the colors, leading it to look like a flat paper cut-out (fly-swatted!) onto the background with only 2 colors visible at any other zoom level!

LIGHTING YOUR ENVIRONMENT

I want to also expand on the "lighting your environment" thing, as this can be an overwhelming concept to a beginner:

As Arne suggested, you should always consider your environment's lighting -- it's very important to indicate form, as well as for any mood, tone, or even any suspension of disbelief you want to convey! -- however, at the same time, you should also consider your own artistic framing as well.

For example, if the background trees are supposed to be subdued, depending on your pixel/rendering style and chosen level of detail -- 2 to 4 colors are PLENTY enough to render BG trees while also keeping them subdued since lighting actually /creates/ form through its contrast with shadow, so the weaker your contrast between light and shadow becomes, the more subdued (but potentially also FLAT as well, so be careful with this!) your subject will also become.

VARY CONTRAST WITH PROMINENCE

If you want a thing to stand out more in your environment, you'll want to give it much more contrast than anything else. The inverse is true if you want to subdue it. Vary the contrast between things in your scene to keep things in line with how prominent you need them to be at first glance to the viewer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:28:05 am by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/