AuthorTopic: Idle animation  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Pukahuna

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/40206.htm
    • pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Idle animation

on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:59 pm
I'm trying to do a Jump animation for this character, but i'm not happy with the results and don't know how to fix it
I have done this 2 attempts:

Anyone have some tips, advices?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:50:13 am by Pukahuna »
ig: @pukahuna

Offline Mafamoo

• View Profile

Re: Jump animation

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26:35 am
To me it looks like your character's jumping without actually pushing itself off the ground - I think if he bent his legs down more first before lifting off the ground it would look like he'd put some power into it - right now it looks as if he's expending zero effort but still lifting off the ground.

This is rather exaggerated but should give you an idea of what you should be going for in terms of movement. I'm sure others can offer better and more specific advice than me, but hopefully that's helpful xD

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:22:51 am
Thank you :D
Actually the jump would be the idle animation of the character, so I decided to change it for just a simple one, I think it looks way better

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:11:13 am by Pukahuna »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:25:15 pm
Thank you :D
Actually the jump would be the idle animation of the character, so I decided to change it for just a simple one, I think it looks way better

That DEFINITELY works. There's some bits you could fine-tune here a bit, like some of the shading and that leftside ear's a bit wibblywobbly, but this is a great idle animation.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:24 am
His design looks tough, but his animation doesn't make him feel dangerous.
Try something that gives him more personality and feels threatening.

Something like this:

Mine is a bit cartoony tho, go for more subtle.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:50:17 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:57 pm
His design looks tough, but his animation doesn't make him feel dangerous.
Try something that gives him more personality and feels threatening.

Something like this:

Mine is a bit cartoony tho, go for more subtle.

Wow, the animation looks amazing, thank you so much, it really helped me! My first intention was to make him very threatening, dangerous, but it turned out too cute for it

Offline trough

• View Profile

Re: Idle animation

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:20 pm
If you want to make him look intimidating in a less cartoony way, here are some thoughts.
I am not a wolf expert, but I think they snarl and growl to intimidate, and bark while attacking and chasing.  Here's an snarling head edit:

His main method of attack seems to be the fork he is holding, so the most intimidating thing he can do is pose himself ready to use it.  His right hand seems to be unused; in battle, this is a hand wasted!  If he doesn't have a shield to hold, why not hold his weapon with both hands for better control and more power?

If you imagine this man holding a fork instead of a sword, and with his hands spaced further apart, then this stance is similar to what I am imagining.  If you combine a threatening stance like this with a head thrust forward in a snarl, I think it could look very intimidating.
Here is a video describing spear stances and striking methods, which might be applied to any polearm, like a fork.  You might find the "pool cue" striking method interesting if you are going to animate an attack.

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Re: Idle animation

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 02:36:27 am
If you want to make him look intimidating in a less cartoony way, here are some thoughts.
I am not a wolf expert, but I think they snarl and growl to intimidate, and bark while attacking and chasing.  Here's an snarling head edit:

His main method of attack seems to be the fork he is holding, so the most intimidating thing he can do is pose himself ready to use it.  His right hand seems to be unused; in battle, this is a hand wasted!  If he doesn't have a shield to hold, why not hold his weapon with both hands for better control and more power?

If you imagine this man holding a fork instead of a sword, and with his hands spaced further apart, then this stance is similar to what I am imagining.  If you combine a threatening stance like this with a head thrust forward in a snarl, I think it could look very intimidating.
Here is a video describing spear stances and striking methods, which might be applied to any polearm, like a fork.  You might find the "pool cue" striking method interesting if you are going to animate an attack.

Thank you! I loved this snarling animation, especially the the ears going down, I would never remember to do that, I'll definitely make him in that pose and snarling from time to time, I just will try to make at least some more enemies before start making these time consuming things