AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 55161 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 04:47:59 am
zolthorg: www.tilemap.co.uk   - mappy win32.  Pretty good map editor, geared towards gameboy and mobile development.  Has a fairly obscure plugin to create 'randomly' distributed tiles.  It actually works from a 8-bit targa bitmap from memory, using the palette indexes to place tiles.  This means you can use noise functions or whatever to create your layout file.  Hope it is useful (I didn't make it by the way).

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 10:58:28 am
zolthorg: www.tilemap.co.uk   - mappy win32.  Pretty good map editor, geared towards gameboy and mobile development.  Has a fairly obscure plugin to create 'randomly' distributed tiles.  It actually works from a 8-bit targa bitmap from memory, using the palette indexes to place tiles.  This means you can use noise functions or whatever to create your layout file.  Hope it is useful (I didn't make it by the way).
:-*
Thankies

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 12:35:46 pm
Hi Leif. ;D Can you explain what your Hiatus was about(or if it was one, seemed short)? Do you have a flood of new art for us that you forgot to show?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 09:01:36 pm
I was sort of hoping to get something more than a link to some roms. I wanted to see if anyone else had come across a hobby game they felt had the same level of polish as Cave Story

I can't provide links at the moment, but I know that Kenta Cho (ABA games) makes some really nice shooters.  rRootage and Noiz2sa are classics.  There's also Torus Trooper, and my personal favorite, Tumiki Fighters (defeated enemies stick to your ship, adding their firepower to yours.  It's really neat.).

if you google "doujin shooter" chances are you'll find plenty of freeware shooters in a similar vein.

Pixel has also made a couple of other pixelly games, if you want to search out his website.

If you have a mac, lurking around idevgames can wield any number of free/ in progress games.  Macupdate.com usually has most of the mac games out there, freeware or shareware, too.

Abuse has been released for free.  Check out Liberated Games for other commercial games that shared the same fate (like the first two GTA games and Bungie's venerable Marathon series).

Spend a couple of hours roaming through sourceforge or games made using sdl(most of them are freeware).

N, the ninja game, is freeware and is one of the best lode-runner type games out there.  There's also Enigma, which is based on the old oxyd games by dongleware (search for enigma and oxyd on google and you should find it).

Does that help?
rip ninjalicious

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 09:10:22 pm
Thanks, Saw, that's exactly the kind of independent stuff I was looking for.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 10:56:22 pm
Big, big reccomendation on N by me as well. I've been playing it since the first release, and I just can't stop. there should be more games like that. Warning Forever is the best rRootage type game in my opinion. Also play nikujin, as it is devilishly difficult but awesome as a ninja game can be. Sawtooth is well informed.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 11:17:49 pm
warning forever!! *broooop broooop brooooooooop*
septagonal heavy power striker wingflier!
i do like the others, but this was a keeper.  also have a go at the gunship one... can't remember what it is called, same guy though.  Also duo.
go to www.gamehippo.com and try generally and highway pursuit (or something similar).

godslayer: my hiatus was for an extended period of about 8 hours.  i'll make my next one longer :)
i have a lot of pixelart being done but it is for games unfortunately, NDA doesn't allow me to post them here.
in the meantime I have posted a few smaller pieces in main section and have the ocean pic in progress at the moment.  I want to do a logo next, so we'll see how long it takes me to finish the current pic - clouds are not my strong point so at least i'm learning.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 11:38:09 pm
UHM, THAT INSPECTER GADGET REMAKE = BADASS.
@darionmccoy

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2005, 01:29:43 am
UHM, THAT INSPECTER GADGET REMAKE = BADASS.

Seconded.

Lief, will you be able to post the art after the game is done? Or just never?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 07, 2005, 01:34:32 am
ill see.  personally i can't see a problem with it, but its not a personal issue :)
space side shooter, i'm doing enemies and bosses.