I realise this is a really old topic, but I found this thread from Google because of the OP's tileset, and I've made my own observations I thought I'd like to add.
As has been pointed out - the Game Boy works off of 8x8 tiles, which are then used to represent the more commonly recognise 16x16 tiles. But I've noticed something about the way the maps are, well, mapped out that I wonder is worth taking into consideration with these remake mocks.
On top of being 16x16 tiles, the maps themselves are comprised of 32x32 tiles - 4x16x16 tiles that don't ever seem to break from specific groups.
It's fairly obvious from this map. There are tiles for "sign and surrounding area", the pattern for roads (or trimmed grass or whatever it's supposed to be), for the segments of houses themselves, even for where a cut tree is situated. I think it's fascinating the way they designed it this way, but I wonder if it's a mechanical thing or if it was something to make it easier on the developers, to create pre-fabricated clumps of tiles.
Now, the reason I found this thread is actually because of that "hard mode" tileset - I ripped it!
(If the page doesn't load right, my post is "Jirbytaylor" and the original file is here.
) I ripped the tiles and compiled them into a single RPG Maker-format chipset/tileset.
To be honest, that was a pretty bad idea. You gain no advantages in RM2k/3 by cramming as much as you can into one file. This set is missing tiles and is really more a detriment. I've been trying to make something more efficient and can be used to create Kanto exactly
, and split between separate files, but it's not been a priority, so I haven't progressed far.