AuthorTopic: Base for a Planned Animation [C+C]  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Base for a Planned Animation [C+C]

on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:45 am

Mainly concerned with proportions and shading, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  The pants are what I'm least pleased with, though.

The animation planned is just a loop of the clothes/hair blowing, but I'd like to make sure it's in a good enough condition to work on.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Re: Base for a Planned Animation [C+C]

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:11:49 pm
The legs are too short and thin, the reason why you don't like the pants is because they are too big for her skinny short legs. Otherwise you could use some more contrast (hair) but it looks pretty good.

Offline kilenc

• just a kid trying to do him
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:07:28 pm
first things first, work on a more neutral background if possible, since due to colors influencing your perception of other colors such a bright green could influence the piece a lot more than you intend

otherwise, here are some thoughts:

i desaturated colors (you were working with 100% or 0% saturation a lot, which made colors very not friendly to the eye) and fixed some anatomy (my version is still very rough tho, i don't have a lot of time)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 04:15:58 pm
I agree that the legs are the biggest issue here.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:46:10 pm
I'm with everyone here on the legs.  Also, seem like there's a lot of bling and such that is very hard to read for a sprite this size.
Quick edit with some ideas:

Offline walker

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:03:37 am
This isn't much of an edit because I think its pretty good already.

Agree with legs though, changed them a bit. The middle demonstrates her figure a little more than colours do. I think the legs were too thin. Made them a bit thicker around thighs, tried to get a sense of the calves/knees also. Made them longer in general, which required the shorts to come up a bit. Made the shirt less draping and long to keep the midriff showing, which I assume is a style you want to keep.

The only other real problem was the contrast and the saturation. Tried to make them less of a smooth ramp (see Hue Shifting). I left the colours in there as a comparison so you can have a look.

Edit: Oh, and I added a mouth, I think the piece can handle it but that's your choice. Also I think flat black and flat white are a little overbearing. Experimented a little by removing all the greys as well, but I think grey pants would be fine. Even near black and near white would be cool but I thought I'd compare it to this.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:07:11 am by walker »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 04:10:25 am
camera-left leg still looks a bit off at the knee, and those pants need a bit of work before they're looking right still. As they are they appear to be riding up the back a bunch, it'd probably help to flatten the bottom edge a bit so the curve isn't as extreme.

If you need a guide to work off, I recommend getting a copy of designdoll (http://terawell.net/terawell/).

It can help to have a solid reference to work from, and DD is the most solid build-a-ref program I've found so far.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:12:48 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:50:25 pm
Another quick edit. Something I noticed about her bust is how large yet flat it looked. I think in this case a little redux is required.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:48 am

Messed a lot with the legs/shorts, along with a bit of color tweaking.  I really want to keep the very brightly colored hair, but I do agree that I went a bit too vibrant on the original, so I went with the slightly toned down version.

Offline kilenc

• just a kid trying to do him
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 01:52:36 am
a lot better, but i still think you have anatomy problems. i don't have time to make an edit, but i suggest looking at references for hands-on-hips poses (your girl lacks any obvious elbows, which make her arms seem really short), and for general proportions (your girl's legs are way too short, usually legs are around the size of the torso+head combined but from a glance you seem to have legs the length of torso only).

lachrymose's most recent edit seems to cover both these things pretty well, id look to that for inspiration