AuthorTopic: Bell Island  (Read 8547 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Bell Island

on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:43 am
I've been playing a bit with Crocotile3d here and there. Will be updating this whenever I need a break from other stuff, hopefully.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Bell Island

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:12:52 am

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:25:04 am
Very lovely. I guess the assumption with low poly is it's intended for game use, is that the case here, or just an environment for fun?

Does Crocotile have a way to set a tile to always rotate on the y axis to face the camera? Seems like that kind of approach would work well for the bell sprite you have.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:50:28 am
I'm just doing this one for fun- although it does make me have ideas about how it'd be used in a game, etc.
Still figuring out the building- probably will modify certain things about it, like adding more of a foundation to it so it fits with the ground more.
Crocotile doesn't have that rotate/look at camera/billboard option yet, but I've been thinking of using the bell as a way to push myself into implementing that sort of thing.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:34:34 pm
I wonder if something like this could be a new sort of art style. I mean like what if the art was a 3d enviroment that is made to look a certain way. Like in certain videogames the scenery will look beautiful. What if you just made a scene that you could explore as art. It looks really good by the way.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:42:17 pm
I think that is what some 'art games' attempt to do. The line between game and model viewer seems to be separated by whether it treats itself as a tool or as an even slightly self guided experience within some constraints.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:01:56 pm
Yeah, I want to think of this one as more of an art piece that stands alone rather than one specifically made for use in a game. Just as there is pixel-art that is not meant for a game, there is also 3d art that is not meant for games.
However, due to the nature of the style, it kind of stirs up feelings of game-related stuff.
So, yeah- if it is something that could be a new sort of art, it might serve better to look at it from beyond the perspective of a game.

I've wanted to use Pepakura Designer to flatten the models built with Crocotile3d and then print them out and create physical models. I think it would be cool, and would also make it more of an art-form.
I was imagining creating a whole gallery using physical models in this style because it would be visually striking and different from the norm. I want to find a good technique for doing so that results in physical models that are sturdy and well made so that they don't look like just some printed paper.
I have some ideas on how I would do it, but doing it is the time-consuming part. :)

edit: I suppose the smart thing to do would be to create a box or something simple and figure out the technique that works best, and then work up to a larger scale.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:06:22 pm by AlexHW »

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 07:45:27 pm
wooahh really cool piece! This is the first time I heard about crocotile3d, definitely gonna give it a try.

I can see this becoming a new branch from the low-poly 3D movement in games and art we've been seeing lately after what Proteus has started. tbh it has started already, it's not that rare to find voxel and other kinds of 3D pixel art games/art/experiments, we even have faux-3d games like LISA(not the RPG)

source: @YemaYema

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 09:54:55 pm
Thanks Mavw,
I don't think it is a movement, but rather it is just born out of necessity. It is a style that is less time-consuming, which is valuable for developers who don't want to spend excessive amount of time on hi-res style art/models.

Here is an update:

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23:47 am
This looks amazing, wonderful aesthetic :)