AuthorTopic: Pixels And Art Glossary  (Read 188514 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: [WIP/brainstorm] - Pixels And Art Glossary

Reply #70 on: February 13, 2016, 06:06:05 pm
about color-
warm and cool aren't quite so black and white. there are warm and cool yellows, warm and cool purples, it's all relative really. yellow might be associated with sunlight, but not light generally, the light could be any color (you see blue secondary light sources overused a lot, for instance). I don't understand the "red/yellow are the basis of all colors bit", the additive primaries are red, green, and blue. subtractive primaries are red, yellow, blue (or cyan, magenta, yellow).

Yellow can't be cool..
There are neutral colors though (green and magenta), which arise when a warm and cool color blend/cross.
Goethe's color theory is really great, and focuses around the idea that color emerges from the boundary of light and dark.
If you hold up a pinhole to your eye and look at for example the edges of a window or something where light/dark creates a sharp edge(using sunlight).. You will see the edge have either a red/yellow band or a blue/cyan band.
The colors you see are due to the crossing/bending of light/dark. It isn't just simply light. That's my understanding of it.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #71 on: February 13, 2016, 06:26:49 pm
Yes, I believe he establishes it around the observations that if there is only 100% light, there is no color, if there is only 100% darkness, there is no color either. Color emerges where light and dark are "mixed" according to what he saw.

Then an attribution is made. Yellow is assigned to light but also to "light" in the emotional/mood sense. Similar double attribution is made to blue for darkness. So... well, light and dark form the basis for his color wheel really.

edit: One could probably go as far as calling light and darkness "emotional primaries" or primary emotions. Other emotions are mixtures of those.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:31:28 pm by 0xDB »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:57 pm
warm yellow- cadmium yellow
cool yellow- lemon yellow

it's relative. one has a bias toward green, the other toward red. some painters advise getting a warm and cool version of each color for your palette.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:15:37 pm by Cure »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #73 on: February 13, 2016, 09:25:40 pm
I think when speaking in terms of color, and judging whether a color is warm or cold, you have to take into consideration the totality of what warm/cold colors are, and that requires looking at the whole spectrum.
If you are judging two yellows and saying one is cooler and the other is warmer, I think it could also be said that one is less warm and the other is more warm. What you're really determining, though, is how much light/dark there is in the color (from the perspective of light versus lack of light; space).
If you look at the dynamic of color, a warm color will have half in the lighter side and half in the darker side. The lighter half is yellow, and the darker half is red.
The same dynamic is present in the cool color; You have half in the lighter side (cyan), and half in the darker side (blue).
When dark crosses with dark, you get magenta. When light crosses with light, you get green.

So a greenish-yellow would more of a Neutral Light Color. A magenta-red would be more of a Neutral Dark Color.
A yellow-red would be a Warm Color that is between light/dark. A cyan-blue would be a Cool Color between light/dark.

Color blends are basically different percentages of the dark/light sides, or the warm/cold sides.

So there is a Light/Dark color and a Warm/Cold color. They cross with each other to produce the full spectrum. When warm crosses with cold, you get neutral light or dark colors. When you cross light or dark colors, you get neutral warm or cool colors.

That is how I consider color, and the theory I follow. I don't know if Goethe's theory classifies things in this manner, but I feel how I've defined it is the best way if you want to look at color as being warm/cold.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:27:35 pm by AlexHW »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: February 13, 2016, 09:37:37 pm
Or in other words, like brightness, temperature is a scale. Some colors are warmer than others, even if both are "warm". A neutral color next to a dark color is considered bright, just like a neutral color next to a cold color is considered warm.

I would never have expected for this to be discussed to this extent. :P

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: February 14, 2016, 04:53:23 am
Or in other words, like brightness, temperature is a scale. Some colors are warmer than others, even if both are "warm". A neutral color next to a dark color is considered bright, just like a neutral color next to a cold color is considered warm.
Yeah, this is the opponent process (which is biological, rather than psychological -- your color perception being tired by more intense colors and being distorted in the opposite direction as a result). It's a primary cause of the "newbie art is oversaturated, pro art is understated in saturation" outcome, and IMO needs to be covered somewhere -- in color mixing, I guess.

The crappiness of HSV/HSL et al introduce further confusion into the subject: When you pick a bright yellow and darken it by dropping  V / L, it can become greenish (ie. cooler). But that's an artefact of the simplicity of that color model. Color models that actually try to be true to life, like LAB / LCH, do not have this issue: when you pick a bright yellow and drop L down, you get a pretty-much-as-expected brown, with very similar level of warmth. So HSV / HSL are not very good tools for discussing this subject.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #76 on: February 15, 2016, 11:24:07 pm
I came across a chronologically ordered set of color systems. I thought it was interesting, so figured I'd share it.
http://i.imgur.com/vDHMURo.jpg

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #77 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:56 am
Ah, board is back up. Added that chronological overview of different color systems to the further reading section of the Color entry.

Also added a few new images and further reading entries on some of the previous entries.

new images:

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: February 20, 2016, 11:51:09 am
I like these. Particularly the Perspective Projection one, which shows clearly the idea that a projected shape is essentially a combination of 2d graphs.

Suggestions:

* Parallel Projection: s/picuture/picture/
* "45° degrees" is like "ATM machine" -- oddly redundant. At least to me, it would make more sense to pick only one of "°" and "degrees"
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #79 on: February 21, 2016, 12:11:12 pm
* Parallel Projection: s/picuture/picture/
* "45° degrees" is like "ATM machine" -- oddly redundant. At least to me, it would make more sense to pick only one of "°" and "degrees"
Fixed.