AuthorTopic: Old Master Remastered Challenge  (Read 116080 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Old Master Remastered Challenge

on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:36 pm

Small update on the rules. See below

Hello fellow pixelationers!

Now this is no new idea and isn't so much of a challenge, but more of a warming up activity to go along with our new looks and old name. The deal is as simple as that, pick a piece of an old Master and reinterpret it in Pixel Art. There aren't many restrictions on this one, stay below 160x160 pixels and 32 colors. Try to not copy it, but give it a new twist, make use of the whole new context and palette Pixel Art offers, go wild. All your base are belong to Mona Lisa or let Dante and Virgil canoodle in isometric Hell or maybe they just want to take it out Street Fighter style.

Here's a nice example piece by Nevanda (not made within the restrictions)
The last Supper, Tactics Ogre style

Recreate an old master painting
max. size: 160x160 pixels
max. colors: 32

Additional rule:
You can also stick to known system restrictions (ie. c64, zx spectrum, etc.) instead of the 160x160 32 color limit.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:07:11 pm by miascugh »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Old Master Remastered Challenge

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:26:18 pm
I'll be entering later tonight or tomorrow. Just wanted to say, please remember to post link to original piece so we don't have to go looking for it. Unless of course we're talking something so extremely well-known as what follows.

And to sort of destroy sanity before we even start, here's an non-entry by the great Lazur, not in proper res of color depth, but just so we know we cannot reach for the stars and just put them in our hands  ;)

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:05:58 pm
I am entering with this crappy doodle. Also I guess the original is well known enough.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:24:55 pm
Lol, Lazur always goes sooooo overboard with his skin tones.

I'm going to look through my Rembrandt book to see if I can find anything worth pixeling...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:14:49 pm
Ive started mine, but im going to wait till its done to show.

"The School of Athens" replacing raphael's portraits of renaissance masters with portraits of pixel-artists here and on pixeljoint that i like or admire.  some of them, like Stoven, Stitchy, Ahruon, BTG, jalonso, and indigo have pretty obvious mascots, but if ptoing, helm, and miascugh, and flaber could tell me how they would like to be represented (or if they would like NOT to be represented) that would be helpfull

anyone else who would like to be represented should tell me as well.  as the list stands:

self portrait - epicurus - how do people think i should represent myself? perhaps just regular old me?
ptoing - aristotle
stoven - plato
jalonso - diogenes
miascugh - euclid
helm - hericlitus
indigo - theophrastus
ryumaru - background figure in deep brown near relief
wolverine - the background fiure to his left
BTG - aristippus
Ahruon - foreground figure leaning over near Euclid
stichy - foreground figure looking up near Euclid
flaber - figure beside Plato
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:58:35 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:19:41 pm
hmm, im thinking ill cook up a little of michelangelo's the last judgement.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:20 pm
Adarias, an obvious one for me would be Ampelkopf http://ptoing.net/images/pixel/4.png

Dunno how many of the newer people know him, i did not draw him that often (I should again), but I really like him and i had a small animated avatar of him for ages when I first joined pix. Memories....
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:51:51 pm
I am tall and slim and have long hair, Adarias. Remember the Yellow Sign picture? That was me. If I were to be a greek philosopher, I'd be Anaximandros, but we don't know what he looked like. But Heraclitus is a good second, father of epistemological despondency. We can never know nothing.

This is my entry. 16 colors. Named 'Giantes' which is greek for 'Wishbone'. Drawn by old master N. Gizhs. This piece has had a profound influence on me since I first saw it, about oh, 13 years ago? I have had an enduring love for it, her, since.

original

Of course, it's not good enough. I'll try again when I am stronger.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:53:26 pm
Im thinking probably the best bet for me would just be using my gaytor. My avator..
I really dont have a distinct character - other than him because i generally like to make a different character everytime.
My only distinct thing is eyes..

but ya. go for the gaytor

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 12:29:01 am
evil-ville: That's very nice, you've been developing a nice style recently. The blue you used to aa on the left outline doesn't work, and the top of the head was left un-aa-ed.

Helm: Wow both those are beautiful. Good enough or not, lovely work, she's got her own character. Very convincing values, and that with such neon colors.

Hey Adarias, that's a nice idea, I'd love to be in it. I don't really have a personal character, but here's a humanoid avatar that's served me well for quite some time http://miascugh.ptoing.net/pixels/avaold.gif