AuthorTopic: Walk animation on fire!  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Smaex

• View Profile

Walk animation on fire!

on: December 02, 2015, 01:14:52 am
Hey guys,
i just finished the scratch of my new characters walk animation. It's going to be a character for a video game so other animations will follow. What do you think about it? Any tips to improve it? I don't like the flames yet..i'm not very good at hair animation or something like this. Cheers  :y:

Offline Neophos

• View Profile

Re: Walk animation on fire!

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:03 pm
The head-bobbing is uneven, he goes down more on one leg than the other, which makes his run look like a weird kind of gallop instead of running.

The fire also reads badly - It's just noise on his head. Maybe try to create more forms in the flames, so that it's a few licks of fire instead? Also, possibly add some particles from the head that trails after him. If you watch clips of fire, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbodsAV03M, you'll see that fire moves in clumps, and once they separate from the main fire, they live on for a bit. Try to get that sort of "life" into your animation!

Offline Smaex

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:15:49 pm
Thank you, you're absolutely right. I've added a little head bobbing and changed the legs a bit so he doesn't run like a horse anymore  :lol: I think the running looks way better now but the flames..oh my god. It's impossible  ??? Maybe it looks a bit better than before but it's not even close to look like fire  :-X

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:17:49 am
The fire isn't looping, you need to work on something that runs continuously without a stutter.

Also the fire isn't as "heavy" as the body so it will act differently. Not being tangible connected to the person the existing flame won't move with the body. Basically you need a stretch frame where when the head falls the flames stay put and then catch up a frame later. Additionally when the head rises there should be a smush frame where the flames remain low flattening on the head before regaining their height a frame later.