AuthorTopic: Realtime Rendering of 3d Meshes as Pixelart  (Read 128131 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Realtime Rendering of 3d Meshes as Pixelart

Reply #60 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:37 am
oh man. that is a lot of fun to mess with =)

I love making it full res disabling the outlines and the AA. I wasnt really able to use the palletes, even if I turned off the previous one for some reason. I wanted to use palletes without pixels, no can do! My favorite palletes were dawnbringer and Raptor, they have the most unexpected colorchoices for the gray ramp, so they convey pixelyness more boldly. Dawnbringer goes HAY LOOK AT ME IM PIXELD...while raptor just says hey, look at these pixels

I think it would be good if some surfaces didnt get projected shadows, a lot of the time, specially when it's on an adjacent surface instead of a surface directly below it takes out beautiful detail and it doesnt add that much depth, so it doesnt seem like something a pixelartist would always choose to do
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:13:05 am by Conceit »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:29 pm
Conceit: Yeah, right now the pixels are directly tied to the color indexing. That's not an easy thing to untangle - it will take me a second. I'll look at hooking up the self-illumination to also remove shadows - if there's more than 25% self illumination, disable shadows? Or something.

Okay! So, I re-wrote the dithering to work on the material, not as an overlay. It works a TON better. It's now controlled via vertex colors, which means variable dithering is possible! It's pretty nice, and adds a huge amount of control to the visual result. I also set the shadow density to 50%, and toned the ambient values down as well.

Enjoy!

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: September 25, 2015, 08:19:36 pm
Great work.
I would like as many variables as possible exposed in the material/shader dialog in the inspector.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #63 on: September 26, 2015, 01:28:36 am
Wow, that's a huge improvement!  :y:

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: September 26, 2015, 03:05:19 am
Yeah, that's getting really clean. Reminds me of a crisper version of OMF in terms of aesthetic. Particle effects especially feel much more balanced.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #65 on: September 26, 2015, 10:45:53 am
Okay! So, I re-wrote the dithering to work on the material, not as an overlay. It works a TON better.
Yay! I was helpful :D

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 07:37:10 pm
Got dithered Alpha working! Boy, do I like this effect. It's much better than just straight alpha.

Enjoy!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #67 on: September 28, 2015, 07:29:02 am
The edges seem to flicker a lot in this latest one, most prominent on the green mech

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: September 28, 2015, 09:59:35 am
I guess the next step in improving the dithering would be to include different dithering levels:

(Top of the image)

From here:

http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #69 on: September 28, 2015, 07:41:38 pm
Gil: yeah, that'll happen any time the motion of the objects isn't stepped. The Green Hulk mech in the top center is set to have smooth motion, currently - so the crawling pixel artifacts will be particularly visible on it. if the motion is set to snap, even in 1 degree intervals, that goes entirely away. It's pretty cool. :D

Cherno: Done! It was a bit tricky, but I figured it out. Originally I was using this texture to do the dithering:

And the solution was to encode multiple levels of dithering into that same texture - in this case that's done by varying the brightness of the pattern in different patterns. IE, this:

And here's that new pattern in action:

Enjoy!