AuthorTopic: Crocotile 3D - a new 3d modeling tool that acts like a 2d tilemap editor!  (Read 130636 times)

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile
Thanks for the Mac OSX version! I have been messing around with it for a bit, definitely takes some time to adjust to the controls. Here are some thoughts.

1) When zooming out on the OSX version the polys and even primary vertex disappear and there is just a black screen until you zoom in more. Appears to be a glitch.
2) Detachable Tile screen and having a zoom will be key.
3) Making buttons for more of the controls will be good, just too many keys right now.
4) Orthographic project. This needs to be an option for how you view stuff.

More thoughts about how I would use this personally. I think this tool would be amazing for making isometric maps in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I think having the option to lock a base layer to build off of, and to have basic isometric views to easily rotate around with would make thinks much easier. There are also common isometric shapes that are a bit cumbersome to make with your current options (like a single unit pyramid). I get the idea of painting with tiles, instead of painting starting with shapes, but having a few basic shapes that you can quickly apply tiles onto might make things more efficient. I'm hoping to reproduce a FFT map in the next few days to test things out.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
@Cheetah , you can set the camera frustum far plane higher in the settings (f1 key) to see more of the space when you zoom out.
Seems like improving the tileset window and adding buttons/ui seem to be popular requests- so I'll make that my focus.

Orthographic projection is something I haven't thought about, but now that you mention it- it sounds like it could be useful. I don't think it would be too difficult to implement.
As for shape presets.. I'm trying to imagine what benefit it would give. How many presets would there be? As an alternative, you can make your own shapes and simply copy paste them. Now that I think more about it- it might be better to just allow the user to create their own presets which get added to some preset list- kind of how some drawing software have custom brushes.
I'll have to think about how to implement it.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon
Just wanted to chime in and say that this looks amazing, huge fan of 3D pixel art..

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile
That looks fantastic. It greatly reminds me of how you create sprite based objects in Build for Duke Nukem, except that you can turn them on an angle aswell.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Thanks Seiseki and kullenberg.
I remember my feeble attempts at making maps for quake2, SiN, half-life and others years ago- was fun to just be able to walk around in places I made.
I went to a game meeting today and showed crocotile3d. Social gatherings always leave me feeling empty.

I've been working on the tilemap window- putting it into its own window. Seems to make it feel more like an app.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
v1.0.8 now puts the tileset area into its own window with zoom ability and scrollbars. Window positions/sizes get saved when app closes.
Also added a context menu to access editing commands (right click in edit mode). This will make it a bit less reliant on the keyboard.
Check changelog for other changes, fixes.

I will need to create a new video at some point.

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile
Major Error on OSX. I downloaded and opened the newest version. I doesn't show up in my Dock in the bottom or my opened applications in the "Force Quite" menu. ESC and Command/Control +Q are not closing the program. In desperation to close the program I pushed the fullscreen modes on the program and tile selector, I also can not collapse those. How do I close out of your program without restarting my computer?

PS: Feature suggestion, being able to change the palette of the selected tiles so that if you have a repeating tile with different colors you can just change the palette and not have a whole other tile. Old school.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:48:28 pm by Cheetah »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Thanks for the report Cheetah, I sent you a pm with some questions.
I'll deactivate the dl for 1.0.8 osx version until I've figured out the issue.

Edit: Okay so if I understand- it was the fullscreen mode that was giving you trouble. I had the fullscreen key disabled, and I didn't think anyone would be able to get into fullscreen mode, but perhaps that is not the case on a mac. So I have enabled fullscreen key(f11), and I also made the Esc key for quitting(it should still ask if you are sure you want to quit).
Hopefully this will solve the issue of becoming stuck in fullscreen mode.
v1.0.8b is available.
edit: also changed a window setting in osx version- so it should show up in dock now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:30:26 pm by AlexHW »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
Hey Alex, I saw the v1.0.19 update video, awesome stuff. Love what you did with the background  :D Not only does it look better, but it makes you feel like you're already in a world, and all you need to do is create stuff to fill it up!

Does the registration purpose include future updates?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Thanks Ryumaru! Yes, your registration key/activation will work with any future updates.

There has been a lot of Japanese people downloading the program lately. They seem to have a big interest in it. I'm thinking I'll try to offer a language option in the future.