AuthorTopic: Waterfall flow problem  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Waterfall flow problem

on: March 16, 2015, 04:40:26 pm
Hello guys long time no see! I have been making platformer game with my Bro and I started to create Waterfall animation for the scene.. but problem is that Im not good at animating things.. So I have problem with my waterfall that I created..... Problem is that Flow of the waterfall does not look smooth. It does not look like it flowings.... How Do I get flow more smoother? It has only 4 frame..  Does it need more frame? What  I doing  wrong?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:42:26 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Re: Waterfall flow problem

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:55:07 pm
The problem is, in some frames it looks like the water is going up, just make it going straight down.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:04 pm
The main problem is that when your animation goes from the 4th frame back to the first frame, the waterfall appears to go back up a bit.
You should be able to see this if you step slowly through the animation.

For looping animations, remember that the difference between the last frame and the first frame should be similar to the difference between the first and second frames.

Your water pattern repeats approximately every 24 pixels downwards, so you want it to move 24 pixels in one loop
For four frames, you should have:
frame 1: start position
frame 2: +6 pixels down from start
frame 3: +12 pixels down from start
frame 4: +18 pixels down from start
If you were to than add a frame 5, it would be 24 pixels down from the start. But that would make it look just like frame 1, so we're good to loop back to frame 1 instead of adding a fifth frame.

Quite & dirty edit (I've just copy-pasted part of the first frame over the other 3 frames to show the spacing)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:04:02 pm by Ichigo Jam »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:43 pm
Thats very nice and helpful Ichigo Jam.. Thank u very much... Edit! This how it turned.. and I like it very much! Im going polish it later.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:10:50 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:42:42 am
Its off to a great start dude  :y:
This is especially interesting as animating the waterfalls in my game is on my todo list too.

Here's some ideas for when you get to polishing...
Add some more variation in the bottom of the white bit at the top so it drops down then snaps back as each wave breaks off.
I wonder if its possible to add another tile or 2 where the water accelerates a bit more as it falls.

I'm also curious about the rest of this project.
Has there been much other work done on it?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:41:10 pm
Its off to a great start dude  :y:
This is especially interesting as animating the waterfalls in my game is on my todo list too.

Here's some ideas for when you get to polishing...
Add some more variation in the bottom of the white bit at the top so it drops down then snaps back as each wave breaks off.
I wonder if its possible to add another tile or 2 where the water accelerates a bit more as it falls.

I'm also curious about the rest of this project.
Has there been much other work done on it?

Thank u for very very Good tips! We are making this game with unity but game is really at an early stage..So I dont have much to show.. xD. We want make mario + Donkey kong country like a platform game with our own original ideas.. I want create stylized and simple graphic because we want make something done instead of making very high detailed art that takes 1000 years to make..

Here is early mockup forest scene..  I hope u like it xD

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:49:24 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 12:46:46 am
very minor observation- in the mockup, the green blocks dont contrast enough from the green poles.  The green poles might have too high contrast anyway for a non interact-able.  But the blocks could also be a different hue like yellow, but it seems you want green and blue to dominate the enviro.

btw, it looks jaw dropping  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:59:37 am
agree with comment on block contrast though I suspect ur aware of that and these assets were just slapped together.

can I just say I love ur colours and clusters beetleking and I'm looking forward to seeing more and hopefully playing one day.
I'm also really curious to see how u go developing 2D in unity.
I'm in the same boat wanting to smash out a similar game I've been working in game maker and considering unity as it was far superior when I experimented with it but I'm afraid of how well it will handle 2D and clean pixel scaling without artifacts.
Anyway perhaps a discussion we can take offline ;-)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:46:52 am

How about some stretch and squash?

(One time, I stared at some waterfalls for a long time... this is what I learned, but never animated what I observed)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 12:41:12 pm

How about some stretch and squash?

(One time, I stared at some waterfalls for a long time... this is what I learned, but never animated what I observed)
I don't know some waterfalls expand I think it probably depends on the water pressure.
Maybe ones with less water do this shape.
The stretch is good but I don't think the angle suits the rest of the art plus it makes it kinda hard to manage if u want to extend it downwards.