AuthorTopic: 2d Animation Schools  (Read 8143 times)

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: 2d Animation Schools

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 02:04:32 am
TBH i've wondered why we even separate animation out, it doesn't get nearly as much traffic, and pixel art works often go back and forth from asset creating, shading, colours and animation, so it's hard for things to fit into that one pure category anyway. 

I mean the whole board only has 89 threads in it, as opposed to pixel art having 9047. That's no small difference.

It's a good idea in theory, but it's not a major enough category here to be worth it imo.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 02:23:53 am
Animation board was my idea.  :ouch:
There was the same concerns as yours from others.
I made some silly arguments.
Then we made one.
The end.

Here's some crap I wrote about it while we discussed adding new sections to Pixelation.

I just think animation is a massive topic and could benefit from having a stream of threads that focus on it.
Not every thread would have to be a post from a user seeking help.
Threads of conversations, questions, theories, small exercises that aren't really activities, helpful stickies, etc.

What about when someone posts to pixel art with an animated sprite, they need critique from two forums and would be confused where to post?
People would post in the animation section if they chose to, and with that they would have the mind set to get/give crit, talk about animation theories, etc.
Lumping Art and Animation is an oversight.
They are independent of medium.
They inform each other.
But they just aren't the same thing.

Over time I've tried to make my blog a useful source of info about animation.
It's ok for what it is.
Needs a lot of work still.
The problem is interaction with others on the blog doesn't exist.
And that hurts it a lot.
It's just me writing about blah blah blah and no one else writing about their own theories, asking questions, sharing frames/anis etc.
My point is that I don't know everything about animation, and honestly I don't have a ton of experience.
People seem to think I give good crits/edits about it.
But really I'm more interested in what we can discuss and come up with as a community over numerous threads and interactions.

I also think that as mods we should split up a bit.
We should each head the charge in an area that we are passionate about ---> Of course many of us coming together in areas is fine.
For me this would be it.
I see a clear vision of why an animation section should be separate.
And I'd try hard to keep it interesting.

Will it work and be extremely productive?
No idea.
But I think it'd be great to try.

As far as volume, the Pixel section has existed since forever.
The Animation section just turned 1 year old last month.

Is it working?
Sure.
I give it a C+.
And that's passing.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 02:28:34 am
TBH i've wondered why we even separate animation out, it doesn't get nearly as much traffic, and pixel art works often go back and forth from asset creating, shading, colours and animation, so it's hard for things to fit into that one pure category anyway. 

I mean the whole board only has 89 threads in it, as opposed to pixel art having 9047. That's no small difference.

It's a good idea in theory, but it's not a major enough category here to be worth it imo.

The logical solution to that is something similar to Reddit's 'multi-reddit' concept  (eg /r/PixelArt+animation). I've never seen any forum software with that feature, though.

(I generally agree with your assessment but like being able to easily get posts that are just about animation -- PPD's point that there is a lot in animation is very valid. A tagging system is another possible way to implement this kind of idea, but in practice tagging seems to be very underused generally -- mainly because unlike forum section, specifying tags is optional.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 05:10:39 am
I think the animation board is good, still getting it's feet but more successful so far than low spec so definitely deserves it's place. I'll do that Cyangmou, I'll probably start a discussion thread on it soon. In addition to links to traditional animation resources I wouldn't mind writing up a basic rundown of the animation principles with pixelly examples and trying to relate it back to game art. I'd definitely want to workshop it though cause I'm not an expert by any measure.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 05:18:25 am
Animation board was my idea.  :ouch:
There was the same concerns as yours from others.
I made some silly arguments.
Then we made one.
The end.

Whoops sorry for the shiner PPD  :O

I don't actually disagree with your argument at all, my only point would be that i'm not sure if we have the numbers to make it a reality.

More specific categorization is a good way to bring a topic into focus, but it certainly has it's issues.

If we, for example, have an animation board then why not a should we have a games art board? a portrait art board? all of these things could benefit under a closer more focused lens and all of these are huge topics worthy of there own board in scope, however the issue with categorization is that it tends to ignore the points in which these subjects intersect. Portrait art for games, animation for games, animated portraits, ect ect. It also runs into the problem that a particular thread, especially in pixelation, has a tendency to evolve and change, people often bring in things like animation to a static piece to further a process, where then does this thread live?

The second issue, and this one is more specific to the forum, is that by adding a different section you tend to split views. I might to talking mostly about my own habits here but I tend to only really check the general and pixel boards, not because I dislike animation but simply because I don't often think about it. More then that when I have an animation to post I am unsure sometimes where to put it, the animation board may be more focused but the pixel art board gets the most attention most quickly (as far as I can tell).

I am certainly not against the idea of bringing more focus onto animation, and if this is the best way to do it given the limitations of an old forum then fair enough. But perhaps nesting it pixel art could work, or maybe making a board with duplicate or redirected threads (idk if that's technically possible) so we could maintain focus without things not showing up on the main stage so to speak.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:02 am
I think the animation board is good, still getting it's feet but more successful so far than low spec so definitely deserves it's place.

Sure the animation board is just 1 year old and we already had lots of great topics in it. From a moderation standpoint it might make sense to just move the animations threads in there.

From a personal standpoint I tend to check the pixelart board more often, but I also wrote in animation topics.
But that's because doing an animation edit takes usually a lot mor eeffort than a simple static image critique.

I'll do that Cyangmou, I'll probably start a discussion thread on it soon. In addition to links to traditional animation resources I wouldn't mind writing up a basic rundown of the animation principles with pixelly examples and trying to relate it back to game art. I'd definitely want to workshop it though cause I'm not an expert by any measure.

There is barely any information on the topic of animation out there, especially not if it comes to pixelart 2D games which are imo a very close equivalent to traditional animation.
The restrictions of games and that even very simple animations can take multiple hours and a lot of people don't know how much work animation is and what causes the work
After all animation is the biggest cost factor in terms of 2D graphics in a game project.
I will gladly make any well thought out discussion or article sticky, every piece of information, especially if it's also valuable for people who aren't at all familiar with the workload or the challenges of animation.

snip

having all those points as categorization labels in a single huge forum might work, (but this also makes more work for starting a thread)
Splitting all those between boards wouldn't be that effective, but a good directory for finished threads is valuable - if you want to read stuff on a certain topic.

After all a huge part of the given critique was already posted in a slightly different version at an earlier point in a different thread.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:54:14 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 11:05:11 am
having all those points as categorization labels in a single huge forum might work, (but this also makes more work for starting a thread)
Splitting all those between boards wouldn't be that effective, but a good directory for finished threads is valuable - if you want to read stuff on a certain topic.

Actually I quite like that, having one big working board, and then numerous theory boards where threads are categorized and retired. And where particular process pieces can be developed. It would also make any relevant good read a touch easier to find when your looking for something specific.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 02:51:20 am
Whoops sorry for the shiner PPD  :O
No worries.
Everything is open for discussion.

Actually I quite like that, having one big working board, and then numerous theory boards where threads are categorized and retired.
That would require some work.
That's why it helps to have users choose where their thread goes.
Personally I have no time to categorize completed threads.
But Cyan seems to enjoy it.

There is barely any information on the topic of animation out there
Agreed.

I wouldn't mind writing up a basic rundown of the animation principles with pixelly examples
Go for it!
I've been wanting to do the same.
But said that I would almost 2 years ago now.
And still have done pretty much nothing with it.
Life.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1