AuthorTopic: Barbarian Idle Breathing Animation [C + C Welcome]  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: Barbarian Idle Breathing Animation [C + C Welcome]

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 03:26:51 am
Well, but it inflates so much (maybe less than that) only when you're sitting on something (chair, sofa etc.) or laying on bed, in my "fix" that movement is inappropriate because he's standing: the chest movement should be more visible. We get to the posture thing you mentioned, but I should have paid more attention to that beforehand.

some people actually breathe from the diaphragm primarily even when standing and with varying postures, and if the diaphragm is doing the majority of the work, stomach expansion can be more noticeable than any ribcage movement. I think its fine to have a ribcage-focused breathing animation though of course! here it fits well as it looks more 'heroic' i think.

the best example of stomach breathing i could think of thats actually in a film or something was carl weathers in predator so i made you a gif :D

Offline stevenblanc

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 01:03:58 am
Alright so here we go.

V2: This is just a colour and timing edit of Iceaxe's wonderful edit to reduce the overall palette to 32 colours. I also balanced these 32 colours across the running and standing animations.

V3: I brought down the shoulders slightly and blended the edge into the hair a bit. I also adjusted the arms so that they elbow to hand hung lower on the breath. After breathing in and out for a bit I realised that even if my chest rises and draws my shoulder up that my forearm basically stays in the same place. I found that the V2 shoulders and arms seemed to expand too much with the breath so I thinned the upper arm a bit to match the original arm.

V4: I brought the forearm back up so that it was not only more bent but pulled back up slightly.

Side by side:
  V2 / V3 / V4

To be fair I can see the difference at 200% zoom but its not all that significant at 1x. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:12:57 am by stevenblanc »

Offline dianaazura

• View Profile
    • Design3i

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 09:34:40 am
The other thing you will notice is that his chest grows a lot to the point where it's almost ridiculous. This expanded chest is extreme and might not be what you are going for but sometimes it is necessary at such a low resolution as there isn't much wiggle room for movement as it's either moving one pixel or moving no pixels.

Offline ramkumar90

• View Profile
    • online marketing course

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:04 am
Your breathing pattern seems the most natural to me but I find the chest expansion at the highest point of the breath huge compared to the resting chest size. I'm going to study your pattern and see if I can reduce the colours as Alex did and then see if I can use your guidelines but end with a slightly smaller overall chest size.