AuthorTopic: Dark Souls GBC Demake  (Read 117352 times)

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Re: Dark Souls GBC Demake

Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:00 am

an image from Mario Tennis that has me perplexed as to how this text box is done. Can't be windowed mode, as it would have to be anchored to a side. May be tiles if nothing else scrolls during the cutscene ( most probable) yet it only uses 3 colors which makes me think it could be sprites. Also wondering how the text was done as it doesn't seem to be tile based.

pretty certain this is done with tile changes.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline DHyd

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:11 pm
When looking at the top down view, I noticed that the farthest back wall, didn't follow the perspective of the wall itself. Is this what you meant by Mixed Perspective?

Cheers,

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 06:07:37 am

Mother of all gods.
Would you mind if I put this on my references? The colour play here plus it's execution among limitations is just... beautiful.

I don't have much critique though.  :-X

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 06:19:15 am
DHyd: Yep, there's a lot of weird stuff going on with that wall, where symbolism has trumped realism, leading to different areas of the room and wall having different perspectives.

Vagrant: Heh, I'd be flattered  :-* I would really need to dig into assigning the palettes and fixing some errors for it to really be GBC displayable, it's probably 90-95% there right now. But the limitations really do foster creativity; never would have done something like this if I didn't have a box to try and think outside of.

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:14 am
Hawken is correct. Text is tile changes on DMG/GBC . No need to worry about that. Also, static parts of bosses can be tiles. Like, even a boss that takes up the whole screen is possible, so long as its moving parts don't exceed your sprite quota.

This is gorgeous btw.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 09:28:17 am
Thank you! And the only reason I was "worried" about it was because of it's detachment from sides of the screen, and what it could possibly mean for a diamond shaped HUD more akin to the original dark souls game. Is it possible to have tiles that remain stationary while having background move underneath them, if the shape has " holes" like the diamond would surrounding it? Doesn't seem to be the case. Either way I'm happy with the compact version I was able to make here:

I also have a little something else in the works. Those that catch on to the pattern might know what will be happening next...

( working with only black and white is hard; it's all very wip currently. Will have to employ a much less busy solution to the floor tiles)

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:35 am
Not only dark souls BUT demon souls? is hard to you to stop being ON FIRE!

seriusly, pretty cool.

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 11:33:03 pm
Just stopping in to say I really enjoyed this thread; the GBC doesn't get enough attention as a retro platform I feel, so it's nice to see some love and with such an awesome subject too.

:y: :y:

Offline T-Prime

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 05:31:30 am
Absolutely beautiful. I had wondered, for a long time, since first seeing some 2d GBC dark souls images on a random image search, who actually created them. Wow! I'm so impressed. Even with the rigidity of the GBC colour palette, you make it blend and light so well. It's breathtaking.

Offline Oscar Blomqvist

• Passionate game creator working on Runegate.
    • View Profile
    • Runegate - IndieDB

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 07:41:26 am
This looks great. Looking forward to seeing more of this.