AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 2  (Read 68026 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

The Retro RPG Challenge 2

on: September 01, 2005, 05:17:28 am
Hey everybody, this week we're carrying on the GBC based RPG challenge!

There are several goals here!

1. Create at least 4 monster battle sprites/images. The requirements are the same as the last time: You can only use up to 4 colors per tile and a maximum of eight 4 color palettes. These are SPRITES, not Tiles, so one color will always be transparent, which in other words will mean white, so you could make use of it! Your sprites cannot be larger than 48x48. If you want to create a hero for the battle scene, you're welcome to do that, though it's not obligatory!

2. Create an overworld hero (if you haven't done so in the last challenge), and at least 2 overworld sprites to represent any of the monsters you've created. You must create at least a 2 frame walking animation of each at 8x8 or 16x16 in size. For an additional challenge, create 4 facings for the overworld sprites!

3. create at least one visual effect, such as magic. This effect can only use 1 palette and must be treated like a sprite (1 color is transparent), but it can be any size and of any number of frames.

Like last time, you can work with one partner. Perhaps someone wants to design the sprite outlines, and another person would like to color them! Feel free to get collaborative in this challenge!

Here are some samples!!!

Dragon Warrior III GBC:

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, Tara's Adventure:

Lufia, The Legend Returns:

I will be acquiring animation samples very soon, as well as more samples in general, so please feel free to start the static portions of this activity!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:47:21 pm by Peppermint Pig »

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 2

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:49:00 pm
How many colors can the interface be? Also, can we animate the monsters?
@darionmccoy

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:00:09 pm
The interface can be treated like tiles or sprites, though most games tend to use some font set so they need  room, and simplicity to clearly display information.

As for animating the monsters, that's fine!

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:56:10 pm
you said that when animating it has to be atleast 2 frames. Whats the maximum?

Also, are there specific colours that we pick from? Does GBC have specific colours we need?

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 01:10:03 am
I believe the answer to the color choice question was answered by Ptoing in part 1, you should have to use 15bit but that seems to be a pretty rare color-depth (I.E., not supported by many programs), so it's probably not quite worth the effort. I've actually had that exact problem developing for 15 bit cell-phones.

Overworld sprite:

Battle sprite for enemy:

The rest are in production still.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 09:18:28 am
I doubt that the monsters on those battlescreens are sprites at all, as the GBC can only display 40 at once and only 10 per line. So it is more likely to be backgroundtiles. Another thing about background priority: Each 8x8 bg character can has a priority setting, either infront or behind sprites. This always goes for the entire 8x8 tile not just parts of it.

Pawige: ProMotion can handle any bitdepth settings from 2,2,2 to 8,8,8 RGB. You can even have 3,3,2 and stuff like that, which would be good for mophun (urgh).
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 11:15:29 pm
Perhaps I'm missing something but some of the examples seem to have more colors than they should for this challenge ???

Is it possible that they are overlaying sprites on top of bg tiles to create the final sprite image? It only seems to be the case in the first and last screen cap from DWM II and the screen cap from Lufia...

That said, and if it is the case...Can we make use of that technique?
Just curious...Thanks

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 11:39:19 pm
I think they are all sprites. In the lufia example, yeah, they may be overlaying images on top of one another, so they have the red parts of the slime, then the yellow and brown overlayed, but they must have transparency in order to safely combine...

DW monsters does not appear to overlap, so I don't see what you mean. They use multiple palettes per monster, but they're creatively working around the 8x8 tile limit.

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 04:13:28 am
Pawige: your overworld sprite is absolutely fantastic.  On the vampire battle sprite, the areas around his hands are kind of confusing.  I'd make the elbows jut out to the sides a little so the foreshortening isn't so extreme.  Other than that, it's gooooood.

I'll start working on my entry once I get settled in to my dorm room, and they start handing out the laptops.
rip ninjalicious

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 04:44:47 pm
Huzzah! Done for now.

Skeleton:

Beholder/Crab:

Vampire (arms might be a bit too much now :-P):

Drake:

Fugly Spell Effect