AuthorTopic: Johnny J - Animated  (Read 9252 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Johnny J - Animated

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:20 pm
haha thanks :D
I also heard he looks like conan, and since i added the jacket and bleached his hair i thought he looks like klaus kerner xD

Here's a first iteration on the run to stop transition:

Something feels off about it, i can't quite put my finger on it. not sure if its the timing or a pose or both  ???

Offline LD

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 03:49:16 am
These look really good! For the run to stop animation, I think it would look better if he didn't lean back so far and then jolt back to upright.

And yes, he does look like tintin  :P

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 02:04:39 pm
Very nice and smooth. It seemed to me he needed a bit more stopping force to compensate for the forward momentum so I tried to involve his left leg more:

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 12:36:57 am
ah great work erekt! that fixed the oddness for me :D

Also reduced the back lean and the head bob in the end. as well as stepsizes, there were a rogue 2pixel step in the slow down.

Speaking of which, run step size is 20px (2.5 tiles), run to stop transition is 11px (1.4...5...3 tiles? I'll probably try and make it an even 12px, just because it feels more right to me :D
While not having it tried in game at all, since i need to rebuild the whole thing, i hope these distances are alright.

I guess i can adjust the level design to it though.

Offline NomisAnimation

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:00:23 am
Some great development and improvement of a simple character over this thread. I love the simplicity and I love that he does look a little like TinTin!

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 05:29:16 pm
Thanks nomis :)

I've started on the walk cycle. I think it's mostly ok. Not sure about which direction his head should turn though :P Both look kind of odd really.

???

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:45 pm
The walk cycle looks nice, tho maybe a bit relaxed for a stressful cave environment. I'd raise the head and make it bob less maybe to lose that effect.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:53:37 pm
mhh yeah good point. Not sure if i want to give him a too serious tone though. His hairdo sort of implies a bit of oddity. ::)

A friend pointed out that his arms seemed too short. I didn't even realize this but i think he was right.

The transition to stop is pretty abrupt still, and he still looks kinda hunched over while walking.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:42 pm
the only think with the walk cycle is that it feels like the character is lifting his legs a bit too high. like he's going over some stones or something. you can have the leg bend just enough that the foot won't touch the ground when moving foward.
think michael jackson's moon walk. the feet never leave the ground and it still looks really good
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 11:14:32 pm
Good pointers! I changed it so there's more of a swinging motion in the gait.

Also got rid of the head bobbing , the bouncing mane still does a good job while it doesn't feel too exaggerated.