AuthorTopic: Away from Quest - Fighting Animations  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Away from Quest - Fighting Animations

on: January 10, 2015, 01:55:06 am
What better than to try something very difficult?  :P

Some background info: I am spending free time on a personal project which I am programming in Javascript. It is an idle game, which the game plays itself as the hero fights monsters, levels up, and collects loot to sell. Additionally, I am testing a coding trick that forces balance between a variety of classes by forcing battles to last a specified number of turns. Pretty much an RPG but without large scope on programming and careful balancing, except for the art.

The game runs at 30 ticks per second, regular attacks lasting for 45 ticks, critical attacks I think should be good at 75 ticks. (as of writing, I haven't checked how long this critical attack lasts). This is a regular 'fighter' that hasn't went through any advancements. Going for a cocky, reckless, naive and very inexperienced, hot-headed character.

And current points of confusion I have so far:
  • How could I handle easing during the hop back to original starting point?
  • Visual FX is something to consider next update, but what other options do I have to maximize the illusion of impact if I cannot rely on audio?
  • This isn't specific to this project but should I start making it a habit to make smear frames look reasonably decent in case it gets 'taken out of context' in a poorly-timed screenshot?

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Away from Quest - Fighting Animations

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:03 pm
Try a little squash'n'stretch. A blob monster like that is begging for it! To get more sense of impact you can do several things, like add a white flash, slowdown, sprite shake, and if you wanna go all out; screen shake. I miss another frame of follow-through for the sword guy right after impact, not necessary but it would give the hit a feeling of more weight put into it. The hop back is kinda angled with an equal amount of distance covered for each frame. Try adding more curve and focus more on the anticipation/follow-through frames than smooth transition from A to B(my edit isn't nearly enough). Hope that helps :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:57 pm
since it's looking extremely similar to Zephiel (Fire Emblem) from the general approach on the animation, you should study that one closer.

Check the buildup of the attack and how they handled the impact

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:51:27 am

Next iteration.

• I am considering dropping the strict set animation duration and instead have a maximum duration
  • I looked at various Fire Emblem animations (which should be an obvious influence  ;)), and I realized. I probably do not want to lump the attack and the dash in one action.

I would prefer a slime animation that is general and is passable in any contexts from being shot with arrows, blasted by lightning, or being cut.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:53:19 am by Pix3M »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:15:37 am
The character leans slightly forward while doing the sword thing, before jump.
The movement would have a better anticipation if the character was last seen leaning on the back leg

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:32:00 am
The cape being unshaded and unmoving bugs me a bit.  It should flow down when he finishes his thrust.