AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] RPG tiles  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C+C] RPG tiles

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:54:05 am
Getting better.
I don't like how the bottom of the bricks has that wiggly line, it's distracting so try flattening it.

The dithering looks horrible, you should remove it all especially the shadow.
Instead, simply only use the darker greys in that area.
And use logic, if the sun isn't hitting there, when why are there such strong highlights on top of the bricks (in shadow)?
You can also add slight shadows behind the banners and vines.
Vines shading could really use some work such as by only adding highlights in the curves that catch sunlight instead of that constant single pixel line running down the edge.
When working with pixels we reduce down and approximate things as best we can with what we have rather than literally trying to render thin vines as a cylinder.

I think you have to much contrast within the grass.
You also don't need to have texture in every bit of grass, u can actually suggest texture.
So for example u might have some tiles with only the 2 darkest shades, and another tile with the highlight leaves which u place sparingly around the scene (variation as mentioned).
Consider adding either some stepping stones of worn patches of grass where people walk, unlikely flowers would be found there.

Offline Shade

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 11:58:57 am

I have added dirt, as well as the slabs to help add something to the grass.  I have made removed the leaves from a tile, I think it makes it too square where I add it so I was going to make it like the dirt tiles so it fits in better.  I removed the shadow and made another wall section and floor section for the area that would be in the shadow.  I have changed the differing on the portal to an image, does it look any good?
I also toned down the contrast on the grass and still working on the vine.

EDIT: Done some more :)

I was running out of room so I made some more lol.

The building placed together, the wooden planks under the tudor walls are suppost to look like they are going back to meet the stone wall.  I am thinking I will have to make a shaded part of the wall as it would be covered from the sun with the extruded part of the building above it.  Still need to make windows and other parts so it doesn't look so bland. 

I am also going to straighten the wood on the tudor.  I was going for it looking like it was cut rough, but its looking more like it was cut drunk  :lol:

Made it so I could place the shorter grass without it looking blocky. also made tiles for a pond.  Does the water look ok being a single colour or is there any advice on how I could colour it better?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:46:19 pm by Shade »

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:48 pm
The dirt looks rather noisy, with the extra shades being unnecessary in my opinion, and the light brown clusters being so jagged.

I don't think my edit makes it look like dirt that much, but it looks a bit cleaner.
Neither the original or my edit tile very well though.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Shade

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 11:23:30 pm
Thanks for the critique :)

I agree my dirt doesnt tile well, was drawing inspiration from Seiken Densetsu 3's dirt, though mine hasn't turned out as well.  Will work on the dirt to try and make it look cleaner and tile better.

EDIT: Updated the dirt tiles and walls.

I added some shadow on the wall under where the top half of the building should extrude.  I'm hoping this makes it look like its closer.

Going to make some variation tiles for the dirt so it isnt so bland. :)

EDIT2: Modified the grass. I thought it looked really busy compared to everything else, does it look better?

Update: Made a frog that i can place on the lilly pad.

Update: Remade the tiled floor and added another dirt.

I added the darker dirt, hoping it helps to bring more depth.

Changed the style of the tiles, I think it looks better, though maybe a bit dark?
Thank you alot to those who have given me critique so far, feel like I've been improving. A lot more then I would have without you. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:33:17 pm by Shade »