AuthorTopic: Super Time Force Style Animation  (Read 14436 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Super Time Force Style Animation

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 02:38:46 pm
Main problem I see is that in the Jojo, the crotch is above the elbow. You have to push it even further. Most importantly, the original has a U-curve gesture line, very prominent. Yours has no gesture or rhythm yet.

There's tons and tons of info online about gesture drawing, you should have a look.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:34:43 am

Made him lean back a bit more, lowered the arms, raised the crotch and tried a bit for the curve.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 02:29:49 am
The question here is: what makes that jojo pose so great and how can that influence your work? The essence of it is gesture, and I still feel like you haven't addressed this issue. Here's sort of what I mean?

That red line is all that matters in an animation sense and the difference is that one is dynamic (C-shapes are very powerful in suggesting motion) and one is just almost a straight line.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 03:26:04 am

So something more like this, assuming I'm understanding correctly?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 04:16:07 am
That's a bit better yeah, but the torso is not curving like your line suggests. How good are your traditional drawing skills? I feel like your anatomy knowledge and gestural drawing could be better.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 04:30:15 am
(Disclaimer on mistakes I made: didn't upscale from half size, used a previous version of the piece apart from the most recent though I think the point still applies)

I think you are definitely improving but I would take it a bit further when reaching for the pose. The large red outline is directly traced from the yellow pants man with limbs and all and the smaller outline on the right is downscaled from the large outline. I find this helpful in replicating the pose exactly as gil suggested. I also kept the BG from my edit since I find the hair a bit difficult to see on the forum BG.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:30 am
That's a bit better yeah, but the torso is not curving like your line suggests. How good are your traditional drawing skills? I feel like your anatomy knowledge and gestural drawing could be better.

I've spent infinitely more time spriting than hand drawing.  I don't really see returning to it either, unfortunately.
And yes, gestures are kind of a new territory.  Most of my sprites end up in a generic stand position.

(Disclaimer on mistakes I made: didn't upscale from half size, used a previous version of the piece apart from the most recent though I think the point still applies)

I think you are definitely improving but I would take it a bit further when reaching for the pose. The large red outline is directly traced from the yellow pants man with limbs and all and the smaller outline on the right is downscaled from the large outline. I find this helpful in replicating the pose exactly as gil suggested. I also kept the BG from my edit since I find the hair a bit difficult to see on the forum BG.

Using that reasoning, ended up with this. I feel pretty confident with it, even if the legs don't adhere 100% to the skeleton.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:59 pm
Yeah, that's getting pretty close to what you want :)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:48:43 pm
Well if that's the case...

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:00 am
Best version so far. :) If you are trying to replicate exact effect of twitching you should move some pixels in his legs to, and maybe choose different direction of movement for different parts like in reference. It will be a bit complicated thing to make at this size but I think that you should try.

This is nitpicking but strange thing here is that his limbs drastically change size during the animation. I know that this effect shouldn't be realistic and that it's usual thing in animations but it's a bit too much. Also that one pixel on his right foot makes him look like his sock is half way off and it's folded. You should remove that.