AuthorTopic: Super Time Force Style Animation  (Read 14438 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Super Time Force Style Animation

on: December 30, 2014, 08:03:26 am
Only one this time, at least for now.

The idea is that he's creating a magic double using his soul, albeit to simply strike a pose.

I think I might be doing a bit better on timing with this one.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: Super Time Force Style Animation

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:35:41 pm
hate to lower the tone, but it looks a little unsavoury to me, a white monster sprouting from his crotch area as he thrusts his hips forward and splays his legs. maybe make his pose a little less suggestive?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:07:44 pm
I generally agree with probo

but also the general pose of the clone is a bit too weird and unrecognizable, at first I thought it was some kind of arching lightning that got stuck in that position for some reason. Even when you guess it's a character the pose is not very humanoid, someone hanging from their hips is just not likely to do that spiderlike pose, The shading style of the clone is also really weird and very unlike the original sprite OR STF, I wager if they made an energy being in STF he'd be more sillouethy and clear. The whole thing is a bit confusing, didnt strike me as a clone of himself at all.

so my advice for it, have the clone animate more, have him do a more complete take. have him go out, get to a more recognizably human pose, go a bit further than that and snap back, show him moving like a human being, not just sorta blur into the final pose. Also, tweak the energy clone to be more in-style and sillouethy
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:28:55 pm by Conceit »

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:30:47 pm
For what it's worth, I didn't notice anything suggestive about it (and still don't). I've seen this exact pose in several different games, none of them adult.

Other than what's already been mentioned, his knees are flickering, especially the one on the left side, and his pocket is shifting up and down his leg. At least, I assume it's a pocket; I'm not quite sure what's going on with his pants. Is he wearing shorts over them?

Maybe try adding some movement to the hair as well, if it's not supposed to be soaked in hairspray.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:50 am
hate to lower the tone, but it looks a little unsavoury to me, a white monster sprouting from his crotch area as he thrusts his hips forward and splays his legs. maybe make his pose a little less suggestive?

The intention was it comes from his heart, as the animation has it come from the torso, not the crotch, though I see where the confusion comes from.

The pose itself is supposed to be somewhat like the infamous WRY attack from Jojo's Bizarre Adventures' Dio.

I generally agree with probo

but also the general pose of the clone is a bit too weird and unrecognizable, at first I thought it was some kind of arching lightning that got stuck in that position for some reason. Even when you guess it's a character the pose is not very humanoid, someone hanging from their hips is just not likely to do that spiderlike pose, The shading style of the clone is also really weird and very unlike the original sprite OR STF, I wager if they made an energy being in STF he'd be more sillouethy and clear. The whole thing is a bit confusing, didnt strike me as a clone of himself at all.

so my advice for it, have the clone animate more, have him do a more complete take. have him go out, get to a more recognizably human pose, go a bit further than that and snap back, show him moving like a human being, not just sorta blur into the final pose. Also, tweak the energy clone to be more in-style and sillouethy
The idea was that the larger being was kind of crawling out.  I had a GIF in mind that I was thinking of, but I couldn't find it, unfortunately.
Regardless, I'll take this into account.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice anything suggestive about it (and still don't). I've seen this exact pose in several different games, none of them adult.

Other than what's already been mentioned, his knees are flickering, especially the one on the left side, and his pocket is shifting up and down his leg. At least, I assume it's a pocket; I'm not quite sure what's going on with his pants. Is he wearing shorts over them?

Maybe try adding some movement to the hair as well, if it's not supposed to be soaked in hairspray.
It's supposed to be a stitch.  It'll probably be a good idea just to remove them, as they aren't readable at all.
As for the hair, I tried making him duck his head a bit, but the speed made it look pretty bad.  I'll try and make it fwoosh a it and see if it gets me anywhere.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:42:28 am
The pose looks really boring compared to that reference. If you want it to look that crazy, you have to exaggerate a bunch more.

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 11:09:27 am

-Quick 4AM edit

Gil, and Conceit are right, it need to be exaggerated and finished.

but my edit brings up another problem. you are making it too smooth aka too many frames.
when you put that many frames in simple movement it becomes slower which is why I think you speed it up that fast.

by doing that you are taking away something very important to the overall impact of the animation.
In you reference dio's punches only has like 3 frames. the rest is fancy effects and screen shake.

Not surprised people found it vulgar. your using reference from jojo's... :watev:

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:31 am

Axed a frame or two and added a small amount of blur to compensate.
Used actual STF colors from the game.
Made clone recognizable.
Played with shading a bit.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:36 pm
It needs to be waaaaaay more exaggerated. The guy looks like he spilled a drink on his shirt, not like something is bursting from his chest. The problem is the pose I think. Here's an exercise for you: try to replicate this Jojo animation exactly with your character:

Don't interpret it, replicate it exactly.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 04:18:30 am

Bit of a quick change, but that did work it for the better.