AuthorTopic: (wip) Kindergarten teacher (c+c) plus astronaut  (Read 8038 times)

Offline GentlemanFinn

• View Profile

Re: (wip) Kindergarten teacher (c+c)

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:31 am
I like that you use the word "quirky". I wanted to use that word my self, but i didnt think about it earlier:) you are right about both the secund high point and the fact that he isnt in the air at any point. That is going to be my next goal!

If this thing ever becomes a game the kindergarden teacher could "transform" in to the astronaut in some storytelling mode. I would like to illustrate what working with children takes and what a healty fantasy can do in this inviroment.

Edit:
I tried to work on the run cycle for the astronaut. i cant get my head around peaking at the right places.. the legs is still rough, but this is more of a "is this better?" thing..

Old

i think that the breathing i have tried to put in to the animation is giving the impression that he is peaking at one point and not the other, but he is highest when he is in mid air.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:34:25 pm by GentlemanFinn »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 04:06:13 am
Just to make sure: is the quirky nature of the run apparent to you? Like, do you realize that you break all conventions completely and that no one actually runs like that? I've only seen a run like that happen for someone who had a major accident leaving one leg crippled for several years impairing his motor skills.

I happen to agree that this might actually work in a game and that it looks like fun, but I wonder if you shouldn't also be creating a proper run, so you learn animation.

For reference, here's what it looks like when he's not on a treadmill:

Offline GentlemanFinn

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 05:18:36 am
I am aware that all the things you just pointed out is true. I really dont like to follow rules and i really lever go for realism. The walk cycle i made for the other guy may be more natural, but the angle and style makes it unatural in the end anyway. I do realise that the proper thing to do is to learn to do it the right way first, but it really doesnt interest me that much.

How do you make him run like that? Just copy the frames with space between them?

Right now i really like the style of the run and dont want to change it. When i look at it i am thinking "that guy is used to run on the moon". I dont know the story behind him yet, but he have been in space most of his life. That is why he dont know how to run the right way:)

At some point in time i am going to make a run cycle for the other guy. It is problaly not going to follow any rules other then what i think looks funny. After that i would like to try to make  a new character with the purpose to study real body movement!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:22:18 am by GentlemanFinn »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:42:11 am
Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you take these decisions consciously :). He does look like he's hopping around on the moon, but without the gravity.

It's not about realism btw, animation rarely is. You exaggerate reality maybe, but often, the way to make a character unique is when you break conventions.

I made that run anim by copying frames yeah :). I use GraphicsGale which has a bunch of shortcuts to do that.

Offline GentlemanFinn

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:31 pm
Then he must be very unique :) I want to make a shooting animation with him shooting. I imagine that his body cant handle the power og the gun and that he moves backward when firering!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 07:50:53 pm
You could have the gun make him fall on his ass each time. Not sure if that would work in-game, but it sounds like fun :)

Offline GentlemanFinn

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:46 am
That was what i was going to do:) gamewise it could work.. I am thinking that a game based on this charakter could be a stealth/ pussle game. If he is falling down every time he shoots, that would make shooting a rare thing. It would be a last resort og sorts..

Edit: i am having trouble creating a shooting stance.. I have two options as i see it. On one side i can use the idle stance and work from that or i can try to draw something new.

I have played around with option two, but i make him too girly every time. I am afraid to take it too far and destroy his atmosphere.

Hopefully i can make it happen and get somethibg great out of this guy..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:49:01 pm by GentlemanFinn »