AuthorTopic: Template Walk/Run animation  (Read 2512 times)

Offline MckinkyMcormic

• View Profile

Template Walk/Run animation

on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:51 pm
this is Steve . Steve is my blank template. since he is only a template, he is not very smart. i cant seem to get him to walk properly. could you help me make him move in the least amount of frames possible while still looking good? i'll post frames if you need me to.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:42:25 pm by MckinkyMcormic »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Template Walk/Run animation

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:46:39 am
First off, the walking test. You can't get a good idea about your walk by having him walk in place.

Notice the clear limp, which is because you use an odd number of frames. With an odd number of frames, there's a subtle speed difference between the two feet, hence a limp. Having a walk without a bob also tends to feel very stiff.

Pixel art wise, never pixel on a white background. Steve looks very pale and it's because of the background, it tricks your vision. Try using a neutral grey color when you're starting out with pixel art.

There's a bunch of other stuff to go over, but let's start with these basics :)

Offline MckinkyMcormic

• View Profile

Re: Template Walk/Run animation

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:54:42 am
thanks for your response! :D
TBH i didnt want to be getting into detail on the colors, as this is just a throw-together template. seccondly i'm apprehensive to add a head bob, as it will be harder to keep a arm attached to his body with code, and it would significantly cut down on the math required to run it. i have added a frame like you suggested and am curious on what else i can do.

here i have the original file, and here it is with frames cut.

it still feels wonky, and clunky and i hope in can make it much more fluid or natural, but unfortunately i don't have any other things to go off of.